Issues with the screen with Predator PH317-52

JdgLion
JdgLion Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I bought my Helios 300 just a little over two years ago, and it worked great. However, about a few months in, one vertical line started to occasionally show up on the screen (usually red in color) and then disappear. Months in, the line would stay longer and longer before disappearing. About 3 months ago, my laptop monitor simply started to flicker, and it would turn black. I could get it to start if I restarted, but it would only last a few minutes before going black again. Somehow, 2 days later, the problem just resolved itself on its own, and even the vertical line stopped showing up.

A week ago, the vertical line showed up again, and then two days ago my laptop screen started to flicker, the vertical line widened considerably (see picture - it was about one pixel wide before that) and again turned black. This time, it would only turn back on for a few seconds after restarting. Now, it just stays black.

Can anyone tell me what to do? The warranty expired about a month ago, so I don't know if it's worth it to get it fixed. In my country, unfortunately, they often don't tell you how much the repairs would cost in advance. If you send the laptop into the shop, they have to return it (by law) within 40 days (usually, they wait until last few days to discourage buyers from using their warranty) and you just get the check that sometimes costs almost as much as getting a new laptop.

Is there any way to try and fix the problem without going to the shop? Luckily I have a second monitor, but it's basically now a ***** desktop PC.

Best Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    JdgLion

I am really sorry for what have happened.  We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue ( issue with the operating system ).     Turn on the computer , tap f2 - go to bios .   Please stay on the bios screen for 30 mins to 2 hours.     Check whether you are getting any lines during the time period.    If you are not getting any lines then it is a software issue.. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    JdgLion

I am really sorry for what have happened.  We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue ( issue with the operating system ).     Turn on the computer , tap f2 - go to bios .   Please stay on the bios screen for 30 mins to 2 hours.     Check whether you are getting any lines during the time period.    If you are not getting any lines then it is a software issue.. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JdgLion

Tinkerer

Thank you for your answer.

Something weird happened this morning. The issue at first went away by itself when I turned on the laptop. Then an hour later it again started to flicker, but not too badly. Then I saw your response and tried entering BIOS, and the screen wouldn't turn on in the BIOS (it didn't even flicker beforehand).

Then I turned off the laptop and a few hours later retried entering BIOS, and it worked fine, with the exception of a little flickering and the thin vertical line. And now, again, I have to use the second screen because the monitor is black again when in Windows.

I'm simply confused now. I'm guessing, it's probably hardware? What should I do?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JdgLion

Tinkerer

Thank you, egydiocoelho. I think you're right about the edp cable. I tried turning on the screen, and it worked for a while, and then I gently pressed the part of laptop where the EDP cable is behind, and it instantly turned off the screen. This never happened before after touching that part of the laptop.

I'll try my best to do the repair. Any advice on someone who opens a laptop for the first time ever?
  • Wear a grounded wristiband to avoid static energy problems. You may need to replace the edp cable.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JdgLion

Tinkerer

Hi!

So, before I could make the repairs, the problem decreased (but not disappeared). It turns out, I can keep the flickering and dying screen in check by reducing the light settings to the minimum.

Does that mean it's not an EDP cable issue? I would still like to try and fix the problem, because the low lighting setting is not really eyesight friendly during the day.
  • I really think there might be some problem with the edp cable.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi JdgLion,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG