Should i update my BIOS to latest? predator helios 300 PH315-52

Options
jomu
jomu Member Posts: 2 New User
I just checked my system info to see how old this laptop is and realized I'm running BIOS version 1.02 from back when I first bought it... Should I update to 1.12? these are a lot of updates I didn't realize were a thing until now, are they worth updating to? will I get some sort of performance or quality boost from this? I've been struggling with temps recently (hitting 85° and above while gaming and this is after further undervolting)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Options
    jomu said:
    I just checked my system info to see how old this laptop is and realized I'm running BIOS version 1.02 from back when I first bought it... Should I update to 1.12? these are a lot of updates I didn't realize were a thing until now, are they worth updating to? will I get some sort of performance or quality boost from this? I've been struggling with temps recently (hitting 85° and above while gaming and this is after further undervolting)

Due to you having the initial and first OEM BIOS that your Predator PH315-52 came with (also make 100% sure that this is the right model number before upgrading your BIOS) as version 1.02 (which is not even listed in Acer’s BIOS updates as its the OEM that it came with) I would suggest that you upgrade the BIOS to the last BIOS update version (btw, you don’t need to update all of them one by one, just the last update v1.12) as there are allot of BIOS aspects that will be beneficial to running your Predator PH315-52 efficiently. A BIOS update is only updated if the appropriate titles of the BIOS updates update specific portions of your laptop that you are having problems with and need updating, but and in your case your OEM BIOS is old and it would be very beneficial if you update your BIOS version to the last version 1.2 dated 2020/09/03 and titled "Updates BIOS default setting" but and as Acer warns you "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" as upgrading a BIOS inappropriately will brick your laptop. Btw, the BIOS update of your Predator PH315-52 is easily done through Win-10 with the last upgrade of the file “BIOS_1.12.EXE” but and make sure that you take precautions and do this:

1. Don’t interrupt the power source when the BIOS is updated.

2. Don’t run any software while doing a BIOS update.

3. Make sure that your WIN-10 OS is up to date and is not probe to errors and/or BSOD’s

4. Disable your Anti-Virus and any Malware software.

• jomu
    jomu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    jomu said:

Due to you having the initial and first OEM BIOS that your Predator PH315-52 came with (also make 100% sure that this is the right model number before upgrading your BIOS) as version 1.02 (which is not even listed in Acer’s BIOS updates as its the OEM that it came with) I would suggest that you upgrade the BIOS to the last BIOS update version (btw, you don’t need to update all of them one by one, just the last update v1.12) as there are allot of BIOS aspects that will be beneficial to running your Predator PH315-52 efficiently. A BIOS update is only updated if the appropriate titles of the BIOS updates update specific portions of your laptop that you are having problems with and need updating, but and in your case your OEM BIOS is old and it would be very beneficial if you update your BIOS version to the last version 1.2 dated 2020/09/03 and titled "Updates BIOS default setting" but and as Acer warns you "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" as upgrading a BIOS inappropriately will brick your laptop. Btw, the BIOS update of your Predator PH315-52 is easily done through Win-10 with the last upgrade of the file “BIOS_1.12.EXE” but and make sure that you take precautions and do this:

1. Don’t interrupt the power source when the BIOS is updated.

2. Don’t run any software while doing a BIOS update.

3. Make sure that your WIN-10 OS is up to date and is not probe to errors and/or BSOD’s

4. Disable your Anti-Virus and any Malware software.

i see, thank you! 
    i'll update my BIOS then and hope for the best, ill make sure to not have anything run but I have a question, does that include background stuff? because if so I'm not totally sure how to disable those before I start the update..
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I also advise to disconnect all peripherals from the usb ports and if possible, uninstall antivirus such as norton for example, so that it doesn't interfere with the update. I also advise connecting the laptop to a NO-BREAK or UPS, so that there are no problems if there is a power outage. You can also update the bios, through windows update:

The safety recommendations are the same ones reported by our colleague StevenGen.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options