“insert boot media and press any key” aspire xc-885

miriam777777
miriam777777 Member Posts: 1 New User
hi, i have an acer aspire xc-885 - everytime i try turning it on i get the “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key”
similarly when i start it it says “cmos checksum error or cmos battery loss occurs”

here are the things ive tried but haven’t worked:
-pressing ctrl alt delete when computer is starting
- resetting bios to default settings
- resetting bios to harddrive being the priority/main boot up 
- replacing cmos battery

im at a loss here and not sure what else to do. any help please? 

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    It would be nice if you had a DVD system's disk to try to boot.
    Maybe ALT-F10 or FN-ALT-F10  will help to diagnose.  

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,102 Pathfinder
    You can check if the HDD still shows up in the BIOS page. Likely that the HDD is failing.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Your Aspire XC-885 is new enough that the CMOS battery shouldn't have failed yet, but  since you are seeing the CMOS checksum errors even after putting a new battery in I'm guessing there's a hardware issue that corrupting that data. If you have access to another system create a Windows install flash drive in order to use it for diagnostics. Boot to the BIOS on your XC-885 and verify it is set to UEFI boot, that Secure Boot is disabled and the F12 boot menu is enabled. Put the flash drive in and use the F12 key to choose it as your boot device and get it up and running. Go to the second screen and choose Repair to get into the diagnostic environment, then try to repair the boot. Report back and we'll take it farther is needed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.