Windows 10 202H Update - CPU Overheat & PowerLimit Changed

dcetinol84
dcetinol84 Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops

Hello,

After (probably) "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2" Update my laptop suffered a power limit drop and cpu temperature rise.

A couple of months ago my Cinebench Scores was over 3000 points. But after the update I can't get over 2700 with the same setup. I believe there are two reasons for this: 

1- During this test (and other stress tests) the CPU temp gets higher quicker than before. It gets over 86 degrees in almost about 12 seconds. That wasn't the case before. Before the update (or a couple months ago) during this test, CPU temp was never over 80 degrees.

2- At 86 degrees CPU gets a PL2 flag and package power drops from 60W to 45W. And this affects CPU core speed. Before the update when I got any PL, package power was dropping to 56W. Obviously CPU runs at a faster speed at 56W comparing to 45W and that affects performance. (Note: Now, if I keep Turbo button on, the same happens but power package stays at 56W. But I managed to keep 56W without Turbo button before)

So far I've been playing games such as AC Valhalla, Control, Subnautica, Anno 1800, Divinity Original Sin 2. And I finished them withouut any problems. BUT I'm running 6 cores at 3.4 MHZ instead of 4.0 in order to prevent temperature rise. A couple of months ago I as able to play Jedi Fallen Order with 3.9 or 4.0 Mhz without having high temps.

Anybody having a similar problem? Is it only me? :) 

My setup is:

Acer Predator Helios 300

CPU: i7-9750H

GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Max-Q Design

RAM: 32 GB

Thanks a lot,