Login loop for Swift3

Options
MarieWL
MarieWL Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi, I cannot open my laptop, it asks for Microsoft account password and after successful entry it loops me back to start screen. I tried to start off line, then get an error message that I have to be online to log on. As far as I know it hasn’t done any updates recently but the problem is new. I cannot use F8 for safe start, but maybe that isn’t the right command for this model? I have restarted 5-6 times. If I enter the wrong password it doesn’t accept it, if I enter the right one it says “welcome”, the the screen goes black, and then I am back at the impenetrable start screen and it asks again for my ms account password. Any tips before I throw it out from the balcony?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options
    Do you have access to another system? If so log in to your Microsoft account via their web interface to verify the password you are using is correct.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MarieWL

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi billsey, yes, the password is correct, I can log in to the account via other systems. The problem isn’t the password, it accepts the password but then the screen goes black and after a few moments I am returned to the same login screen. To make it clear: I cannot get pass the login, I cannot access any other menus, nothing! 
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    If you reboot into safe mode does it work? My guess is there is something in the profile while is broken
  • MarieWL

Tinkerer

Options
    @Leostat, problem is that I don't know how to reboot in safe mode for my Swift3 - if I try pressing down F8 during startup it has no effect, so that isn't it, and I haven't been able to google my way to other options. Any suggestions?
    And thanks for a sensible suggestion :)
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi @MarieWL,
    Could you please post the full model name of your laptop, like SF3xx-xx, in the meantime, you could try a battery reset, if you have a battery reset pinhole like in the snip, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains and follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15-20 minutes( this is important), reconnect AC adaptor and fully charge the battery before trying to start.
    Battery reset pinhole has a battery icon next to it.
    Acer Internal Battery Reset - Acer Community

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi MarieWL,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • Leostat
    Options
    My bad sorry about that i shoudl have said!

If you can get to the shutdown / restart button from the login screen, hold right shift and press restart, This should show please wait, keep holding shift and it will drop you into a blue recovery screen. From here troubleshoot -> advanced -> startup settings -> restart -> 6 . You should then see the "normal" login screen but the res may be off, it doesnt tell you its safe mode from the login screen. 

When you log in you should just see a black console screen. Type explorer.exe and it will start the "full" windows experiance. 

The reason I am doing it this way and not going straight to the full "recovery" desktop is in case its something in explorer which is broken. If the CMD prompt works, but starting explorer doesnt its something wrong (which i may not be able to troubleshoot but more than happy to try if you dont mind!)

If this isnt able to log you and it kicks you back to log in, we can start into the command prompt recovery mode, and create a new user as something is totally foobar.

If this starts OK and you can head to start -> event viewer -> windows logs -> system. There should be events along the lines of "winlogon" with an event ID of 7001 , the issue will be either before or after this however its a bit of guesswork to get the right one :)
  • MarieWL

Tinkerer

Options
    @brummyfan2, model is SF314-52-36KZ. Battery reset is likely not going to fix anything, sadly, as the laptop has never been able to use or connect to the battery. I don’t know how many times I have tried to troubleshoot that issue, changed drivers, run diagnostics etc. According to itself the battery is fine, but it isn’t drawing power from it… I bought this machine for private use when I moved from one European country to another for work and as I only use it at home, where it isn’t a big deal that I have to use it plugged in, I couldn’t bring it back to the shop and I haven’t tried to get the battery issue fixed 
  • MarieWL

Tinkerer

Options
    @easwar, thanks for the suggestion, but after doing what you suggested I got back to enter password, welcome, black screen, and back to login again. @leostat, same thing there for the first part, no blue screen for me. I do have backup for most of what I have on the poor machine but this is evolving to a mission!
  • Leostat
    Options
    Odd, do you not get the "choose an option" when you press restart + shift 🤔

The "bad" way of getting into safe mode is start the laptop untill you see the spinner, hold pwer to force off and repeat a few times. Eventually it will just give up and show you "this machine failed to start a few times in a row"
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options
    Start again with Leostat's suggestion:

When you can’t open Settings to get into safe mode, restart your device from the Windows sign-in screen.  

1. On the Windows sign-in screen, press and hold the Shift key while you select the Power  > Restart .

2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

Choose an option screen in the Windows Recovery Environment

Troubleshoot screen in the Windows Recovery Environment

Advanced options screen in the Windows Recovery Environment

Startup Settings  screen in the Windows Recovery Environment

3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in safe mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

If that doesn't work then the power cycle method needs to be used:

Before you enter safe mode, you need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (winRE). To do this, you will repeatedly turn your device off, then on:

1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.

2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.

4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.

6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.

Now that you are in winRE, you will follow those steps above to take you to safe mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.