Fizzing/hissing sounds at HDMI connector re LG monitor-Aspire desktop hookup etc. TC-895-EB11,

Thrip
Thrip Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
As I conducted my beginning explorations & experimenting around with my new Aspire Desktop TC-895-EB11, I found that I had to replace my HDMI cable, (connecting the Desktop to the Monitor).
At first I even had trouble with turning the Desktop on. I would press the ON/OFF symbol in the golden V at the top -and it wouldn't turn on.....
Pressing it over & over again eventually it would turn on & then the ON/OFF symbol's white LED illuminates.
However with the original HDMI cable that it came with, I would loose my monitor image and the white LED ON/OFF symbol would go out as I would begin hearing this fizzing and/or hissing noises coming out of the back of the Desktop -right at the HDMI connection port. 
I tried both HDMI ports but both had the fizzing/hissing sounds.
On one test boot the fizzing/hissing came & the ON/OFF symbol's white LED light began flickering on & off. -I had to turn off the power bar to stop this.
I then phoned tech-support at the store where I purchased the Desktop and was advised to get another HDMI cable.......... 

-So I went to a store and got another HDMI cable, (-noticeably a better HDMI cable than what came with the computer)
When I hooked it up & booted this time I found that the Desktop was turning on normally -with one firm press,
-and the Acer desktop page came up and held in stable fashion, -the Desktop's white ON/OFF LED light wasn't going out & the Desktop then shutting down anymore.
-But the fizzing/hissing noises can still be heard at the back if you put your ear up to the HDMI port & connector cable.   
I'm not sure, but it could be that the fizzing/hissing noises are quieter now with this new HDMI cable, -and at least the whole thing isn't shutting down, -& the ON/OFF symbol light isn't flashing on & off......

An interesting thing to mention is that with both HDMI cables I found that the fizzing/hissing noises continued long after I shut down the Desktop, -though the sound becomes more of a slight clicking sound. This quiet HDMI sound continues -until I turn off the power bar....??

The tech-support guy at the store where I bought the Desktop advised that if the problem persisted after I got the replacement HDMI cable that I should bring it in to the store and have their techs look at it.....

The strange sounds persist (though they may be quieter sounds now) with this new HDMI cable, but the system now seems stable and isn't any longer shutting down or showing a malfunctioning ON/OFF light....

Has anyone heard such HDMI related noises in the back of desktops ?

-Will this harm the computer ?

What do you advise that I do ? 

Answers

• Thrip
    Thrip said:
    As I conducted my beginning explorations & experimenting around with my new Aspire Desktop TC-895-EB11, I found that I had to replace my HDMI cable, (connecting the Desktop to the Monitor).
    At first I even had trouble with turning the Desktop on. I would press the ON/OFF symbol in the golden V at the top -and it wouldn't turn on.....
    Pressing it over & over again eventually it would turn on & then the ON/OFF symbol's white LED illuminates.
    However with the original HDMI cable that it came with, I would loose my monitor image and the white LED ON/OFF symbol would go out as I would begin hearing this fizzing and/or hissing noises coming out of the back of the Desktop -right at the HDMI connection port. 
    I tried both HDMI ports but both had the fizzing/hissing sounds.
    On one test boot the fizzing/hissing came & the ON/OFF symbol's white LED light began flickering on & off. -I had to turn off the power bar to stop this.
    I then phoned tech-support at the store where I purchased the Desktop and was advised to get another HDMI cable.......... 

-So I went to a store and got another HDMI cable, (-noticeably a better HDMI cable than what came with the computer)
    When I hooked it up & booted this time I found that the Desktop was turning on normally -with one firm press,
    -and the Acer desktop page came up and held in stable fashion, -the Desktop's white ON/OFF LED light wasn't going out & the Desktop then shutting down anymore.
    -But the fizzing/hissing noises can still be heard at the back if you put your ear up to the HDMI port & connector cable.   
    I'm not sure, but it could be that the fizzing/hissing noises are quieter now with this new HDMI cable, -and at least the whole thing isn't shutting down, -& the ON/OFF symbol light isn't flashing on & off......

An interesting thing to mention is that with both HDMI cables I found that the fizzing/hissing noises continued long after I shut down the Desktop, -though the sound becomes more of a slight clicking sound. This quiet HDMI sound continues -until I turn off the power bar....??

The tech-support guy at the store where I bought the Desktop advised that if the problem persisted after I got the replacement HDMI cable that I should bring it in to the store and have their techs look at it.....

The strange sounds persist (though they may be quieter sounds now) with this new HDMI cable, but the system now seems stable and isn't any longer shutting down or showing a malfunctioning ON/OFF light....

Has anyone heard such HDMI related noises in the back of desktops ?

-Will this harm the computer ?

What do you advise that I do ? 

NOW I THINK THAT IT'S A POWER CABLE/PLUG ISSUE :

A short while after I sent this above Acer Community "COMMENT" or question I returned to thinking more about what I cited as being especially, "interesting" in the previous initial Post re:

"An interesting thing to mention is that with both HDMI cables I found that the fizzing/hissing noises continued long after I shut down the Desktop, -though the sound becomes more of a slight clicking sound. This quiet HDMI sound continues -until I turn off the power bar....??"

-Something didn't quite add up with my faulty HDMI cable theory..........

Sure enough when I again turned on the LG Monitor and the Aspire TC-895 the fizzing/hissing sounds persisted -even after I pulled the HDMI cable out of the back of the Desktop.

Now I'm quite sure that the problem, (if there is one....), concerns the power cable or plug, -I have been able to definitely determine that the source of the fizzing/hissing noises is the power plug-cable.

As well, I don't believe that I had the power-plug inserted all the way previously with the other boot ups, (this power plug was probably set in various degrees of being plugged in or unplugged throughout these previous test boot-ups, as I was wiggling & checking all of the plugs in the back before every boot,  -that would explain the sudden shut-downs & blinking ON/OFF symbol LED light....?

That be as it may, the issue still remains that I am getting this faint, "fizzing/hissing" sound out of the back of the Desktop at the power-plug /insert socket, -and some sounds even persist from the back of the Desktop at the power-plug /insert socket,  even after the computer is shut down. These faint sounds continued until the power bar is turned off.

I should mention that I have the computer plugged into an APC -UPS Battery backed up/Surge protected power bar.

What do you advise me to do re this power-plug noise contingency ?

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    So what happens if you bypass the APC -UPS Battery ?

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Thrip,

Are you getting the same noise when you connect a different montor. 
  • Thrip
    Larryodie said:
    So what happens if you bypass the APC -UPS Battery ?

When I plugged into my other Furman power bar (that I've never had issues with) I also got the fizzing/hissing sounds. -the sounds continued in the form of quieter rapid clicks until I would shut off the power bar.

-If I later would turn the power-bar on again the noises would return to the back of the Desktop -at the power plug & socket.

This is true with both the APC- UPS & the Furman power bars, I don't need to boot up the computer for the noises to begin. 

-As well, (although it took some doing), as I was sure that you would ask I also tried plugging the Desktop directly into a wall socket. But even plugged into the wall the clicking-humming noises were still noticeable at the power plug/socket on the back of the Aspire desktop......

Also re PSU Note Weird PSU sound after Shutdown and DriverInstallFail Orion 3000 re June 9; from Miten 86,

He recently bought a Orion 3000-620 10700f 3070 and has also been getting strange, "clicks"....
    "After a week i encounter a weird clickling noise from the psu
    after the pc is powered down only
    (oh and i have to use the pc first, so the sound doesnt come if i just connect the psu cable i have to activly use the pc and shut it down for this sound to happen).
    Because of this i disconnect the PC with a powerswitch at the power socket after use.."

I wonder if I have a "PSU" problem too ?
    -Do you think that I should take it back to the shop ??
  • Thrip
    Easwar said:
    Hi Thrip,

Are you getting the same noise when you connect a different montor. 
    The noise persists even when no monitor is connected, even when the Desktop has not been turned on or booted up & is merely plugged into the wall or power-bar of any kind that's turned on.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Thrip,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/