Should I upgrade my Helios 300's firmware to 1.01a? It's the latest one & was wondering if it's safe

Options
Matthewdavilaa
Matthewdavilaa Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
This is on the Acer Support page. Wondering if people already did.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,126 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Go to Device Manager and expand Firmware and note the BIOS version, if it shows older version, right click and select Update driver, it's the safest method to update BIOS, you can  also check Windows Update for any Optional updates, if this BIOS update available in Windows Update, just update through WU, you also have to make sure that the battery is fully charged and AC adaptor is connected while updating BIOS, close all programs, apps and opened windows(websites, files, folders etc), make sure that you don't touch any keys on the keyboard while updating BIOS.

• Matthewdavilaa

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    Go to Device Manager and expand Firmware and note the BIOS version, if it shows older version, right click and select Update driver, it's the safest method to update BIOS, you can  also check Windows Update for any Optional updates, if this BIOS update available in Windows Update, just update through WU, you also have to make sure that the battery is fully charged and AC adaptor is connected while updating BIOS, close all programs, apps and opened windows(websites, files, folders etc), make sure that you don't touch any keys on the keyboard while updating BIOS.

Hi, only system firmware is shown on the dropdown. There's no Acer Inc. System Firmware.
  • brummyfan2
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Could you please post the picture and your laptop model name, like PH315-xx.
  • mahendru1992
    mahendru1992 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    The firmware you're talking about is not the system firmware as the above user has commented lol. 

This is a vbios update exclusively for RTX 3060s. If you have this card, then you can safely flash the vbios. It will increase your tgp from 100 to 105w thereby giving you a bit of perfomance boost. Highly recommended 
  • Matthewdavilaa

Tinkerer

Options
    The firmware you're talking about is not the system firmware as the above user has commented lol. 

This is a vbios update exclusively for RTX 3060s. If you have this card, then you can safely flash the vbios. It will increase your tgp from 100 to 105w thereby giving you a bit of perfomance boost. Highly recommended 
    Though, I have the 2060 model. But that support page is for my exact model.
  • Matthewdavilaa

Tinkerer

Options
    This is my model PH315-53-72XD and this shows

This is my model PH315-53-72XD and this shows
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, it's safe to install the Firmware but take care while updating the Firmware as I have previously said.
  • Matthewdavilaa

Tinkerer

Options

What will this firmware update do to my laptop? Sorry I'm kinda new to these things
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I googled and this firmware is only for the RTX 3060 and RTX 3050TI video cards:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)