Planning to undervolted my "" i7-10750H PH315-53

TheHell
TheHell Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi everybody, I have " PH315-53 i7-10750H RTX 2060 " and the (CPU) temp while playing games like GTA V on max fan speed the temp between 88-92 and (GPU) is between 75-79 I see this normal but (CPU) I see it so high so, I planning to undervolt my (CPU) I need to know is undervolt safe or not and does it negatively affect my laptop or it's completely safe?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    That is correct :)

It is worth stressing that it may not be available on your computer on the latest BIOS / UEFI version. Downgrading is extremly risky!

Answers

• Leostat
    Undervolting is locked on the latest versions of the UEFI, instead, a factory underclock is applied. You will always get a couple of answers if it's safe or not, and as a rule of thumb, it is OK as long as you don't go too low, else you will brick your laptop. XMG did a guide about it here :  ( https://download.schenker-tech.de/Documents/guides/BIOS_and_Tuning_Warning_and_Guide_Intel-Comet-Lake.pdf ) where they class undervolting as high risk.

On 8th and 9th gen systems, between 100 and 125 mv was safe, on Comet lake 50 is safe (which should already be applied), 70 is pushing it, 80 blue screens. Beyond that you run the risk of breaking the hardware.

Each chip is different though, some are amazing chips and can easily run at -100mv still; this is just the silicone lottery, though. XMG did a customer survey, and you can have a look at the results of how it went here : (  http://download.schenker-tech.de/media/survey/comet-lake-undervolting-survey_raw-data.xlsx ) , almost everyone ran into problems with it blue screening at much lower values than on 9th gen chips.
  • TheHell
    TheHell Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

@Leostat
    Good answer, thank you very much for it, but I have a problem in understanding it well because I am not an English speaker
    Anyway I will tell you what I understood and please tell me is it right or not
    I understood that if you do “Undervolt” and use appropriate settings, this is good and safe, but if you use unsuitable settings to undervolt, this will lead to problems. Is this correct? Thank you again
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    That is correct :)

It is worth stressing that it may not be available on your computer on the latest BIOS / UEFI version. Downgrading is extremly risky!