ACER Veriton M2611G (VM2611G_HC) does not start anymore

Options
Jan_Inruilde
Jan_Inruilde Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello Acer community,
I have a acer veriton that might be dead, but i wan't to be sure.
this computer was running a Windows 7 OS, and i was trying to upgrade it to windows 10.
Got my hands on the microsoft media creation tool, but the migration did not work becasuse of the "modern setup host" that stopped working every time i tryed.
So i made a bootable usb key with the same tool, and booted on the key to see if i could fix the system in order to upgrade it.
UEFI did not work and ended up with a BSOD.
Legacy did work, so i was able to navigate through the different options but none of them fited my need. i decided to shut down the computer, using the "shut your computer" button, and i started to download a Win7 iso image to get the modern setup host fixed.
then i made a bootable usb key with win 7, plugged the key into the computer, pushed the power on button, but the screen stayed black.
The fans are running, the network light is blinking (but not the hdd one) from time to time, the computer restart himself, but nothing more happens...

So far, i've tried :
Add a PCI graphic card : did not solve anything
minimal start, with only MB+CPU+RAM+Keyboard+monitor - did not solve anything
clear CMOS - did not solve anything
Removing the battery during 48h : did not solve anything
and a few other things like pluggin a PS2 keyboard instead of a usb one, etc...

I have no lead to make it work again. I can't believe i killed the motherboard just by pluggin a usb key, and run nothing....

i'd love some help on this one.
Thank you, wish you guys a lovely day.

PS : English is not my native language, so please, be indulgent...thx.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Jan_Inruilde,

What happens when you press the power button. Are you getting anything on the screen.
  • Jan_Inruilde

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Easwar,

No, when i press the power button, i don't get anything on the screen, not even the Acer logo...

any idea ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try and do a forced power off with a long press of the power button, it might be stuck in one of the sleep modes. Press and hold power until the fans stop then release, wait a sec, and try turning it back on normally.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jan_Inruilde

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi billsey, thanks for your reply.
    i did try that many times with no luck, while i was trying to make the computer work again.

i also tried to shut it down, unplugged the power cord, i removed the battery and did wait for 48 hours...

i'm starting to loose hope...
  • billsey
    Options
    Did the fan shut off immediately when pressing the power button or did you have to press and hold for a while to get the fan to turn off?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jan_Inruilde

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi billsey, thanks for your reply.

i have to have to press and hold for a while before the fan turn off.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Jan_Inruilde,

Is there any update. 

• AlexSlater1234567
    AlexSlater1234567 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello Acer community,
    I have a acer veriton that might be dead, but i wan't to be sure.
    this computer was running a Windows 7 OS, and i was trying to upgrade it to windows 10.
    Got my hands on the microsoft media creation tool, but the migration did not work becasuse of the "modern setup host" that stopped working every time i tryed.
    So i made a bootable usb key with the same tool, and booted on the key to see if i could fix the system in order to upgrade it.
    UEFI did not work and ended up with a BSOD.
    Legacy did work, so i was able to navigate through the different options but none of them fited my need. i decided to shut down the computer, using the "shut your computer" button, and i started to download a Win7 iso image to get the modern setup host fixed.
    then i made a bootable usb key with win 7, plugged the key into the computer, pushed the power on button, but the screen stayed black.
    The fans are running, the network light is blinking (but not the hdd one) from time to time, the computer restart himself, but nothing more happens...

So far, i've tried :
    Add a PCI graphic card : did not solve anything
    minimal start, with only MB+CPU+RAM+Keyboard+monitor - did not solve anything
    clear CMOS - did not solve anything
    Removing the battery during 48h : did not solve anything
    and a few other things like pluggin a PS2 keyboard instead of a usb one, etc...

I have no lead to make it work again. I can't believe i killed the motherboard just by pluggin a usb key, and run nothing....

i'd love some help on this one.
    Thank you, wish you guys a lovely day.

Jan.
    PS : English is not my native language, so please, be indulgent...thx.

Ah yes, it is 100% fixable.  None of those things are going to do it though!

I'm not sure what "Microsoft Media Creation Tool" is, but it upgrades your OS for you?  Not sure what "Modern Setup Host" means either.  That sounds like a networking term.  And the screen stayed black AFTER having installed Windows 7?  Or from that "UEFI" thing?  What is that?

However if you only have a fan running (the network light blinking is something separate from your computer, that is the signal coming from underground or wireless outside your house I'm pretty sure, assuming it's like a separate box-type device on the floor?), that means that the electrical power is not going to all the other parts.  It's because probably a BIOS software was written to the ROM (a different part of the memory board that is used to control the physical devices), that simply isn't compatible with your devices.

Again as I do say this a lot, there is no reason it shouldn't be; because companies SHOULD make things more compatible.  But today, BIOS seem to be flying around everywhere made by random developers that don't know how to mainstream it as they say, so that everybody has the same products relatively.  You need to take it into a repair shop and ask them to rewrite the BIOS software on from an earlier version of whatever OS is still on the computer (it should be preserved on the hard drive unless you did a wipe of it in the Windows 7 installation).  Then it will work fine.  The rest of the circuitry should be fine, although they can check it for you.

Cheers!  Good luck.
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, requiring a long press to turn off means the system has gotten past POST and is starting the OS load. That's actually a good sign since it has completed a bunch of hardware tests by that time. Can you get into the BIOS at all? It might be a display issue, where things are running but not displaying...
  • Jan_Inruilde

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    Options
    hi every body.
    sorry for the late answer, i wasn't home lately...

AlexSlater1234567 : i did not install windows 7, i was trying to upgrade my computer to windows 10 - and i don't know what company should do more or less...but there is one thing for sure, i'm not going to take my computer to a repair shop. otherwise, i wouldn't be here, on the acer community. but thank you anyway.

@billsey :  no, i can't get into the bios as there is nothing on the monitor. the screen just stay black, all the time.

thanks you guys for helping me, this is really kind from you all.

• billsey
    Options
    @Jan_Inruilde take a picture of the back of the computer with all the cables plugged in. I'd like to see how the video is connected to help determine if we could try something different for the display.
  • Jan_Inruilde

Tinkerer

Options
    hi billsey

there is currently nothing plugged on the computer since i need the room for some other computers.
    As i said earlier, i tried both VGA and DVI output connectors but it did not help.
    i also tried pluggin a pci video card with the same result.
    and the monitor works on any other computer, so it's is not a monitor issue.

what was your idea ?
  • billsey
    Options
    On most of these models the GPU plugged into the PCIe x16 slot and when the BIOS is initialized that presence disables the onboard video. If you are plugging the monitor into the onboard you would get those symptoms, hence my request for a picture of the back showing where everything is plugged in. Your system came with one of several AMD GPU cards and it's possible the card has failed, yet still tells the system it's there. The system originally came with Windows 7 and is likely old enough that it doesn't do a UEFI boot, so most modern GPU cards won't work. also, and older PCI GPU won't work because it's not PCIe...
  • rancerock
    rancerock Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Have the same problem when trying to upgrade w7 to w10.

last method is plug a USB w10 installation and shut down, my veriton won't start although power on.

• billsey
    Options

@rancerock rather than camping out on a two year old thread, please start a new thread with your question. Include the full model number off the sticker than has your serial number, or the first ten digits of your serial number. Describe what is happening with your system and what you have done so far to try and fix it. We'll help from there. You typically don't need to do a clean install when upgrading from W7 to W10 though…