Want to upgrade laptop to I3, 12gb ram add 256 ssd drive aspire e1-531

Kk342
Kk342 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My laptop configuration -Acer aspire e1-531 , Intel Pentium inside, Intel r B960 processor, 2.2 GHz, 2 MB L3 cache, Intel r hd graphics, 4gb ddr3 memory, 500 gb HDD. So Please help do I need to change my motherboard and I don't know my motherboard name or model so help in that also

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi Kk342,
    You can upgrade your Acer Aspire E1-531 Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 8GB Memory

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi Kk342,
    You can upgrade your Acer Aspire E1-531 Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 8GB Memory
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    >>>I need to change my motherboard and I don't know my motherboard name or model so help in that also>>>

Mainboard is LA-7912P common to many ACER laptops. Price less than $50USD for new replacement from Aliexpress. Google "e1-531" "motherboard" "aliexpress" for shipping to your location. Since it supports dual channel RAM, you should order identical 4GB RAM modules for both RAM sockets if possible for slightly better performance. You can replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD but you can only add an SSD by replacing the DVD tray if equipped with a DVD SSD caddy.

Jack E/NJ

• Kk342
    Kk342 Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    >>>I need to change my motherboard and I don't know my motherboard name or model so help in that also>>>

Mainboard is LA-7912P common to many ACER laptops. Price less than $50USD for new replacement from Aliexpress. Google "e1-531" "motherboard" "aliexpress" for shipping to your location. Since it supports dual channel RAM, you should order identical 4GB RAM modules for both RAM sockets if possible for slightly better performance. You can replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD but you can only add an SSD by replacing the DVD tray if equipped with a DVD SSD caddy.

Thanks bro for information. I really appreciate. Few more things I like to know like upgrade motherboard for 12-18 ram, i3 processor with 250 sad attached and can it support my laptop or PC or should I change my processor. Please help I really appreciate
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Kk342 said:
    JackE said:

Thanks bro for information. I really appreciate. Few more things I like to know like upgrade motherboard for 12-18 ram, i3 processor with 250 sad attached and can it support my laptop or PC or should I change my processor. Please help I really appreciate

Just to put my bit of advice to you here "Kk342" as your E1-531 is a pretty old laptop and it comes with an Intel 2nd Gen socket rPGA988B OEM from the Intel B815 CPU to an Intel I3-2370M CPU, its max RAM that the motherboard can handle is 8GB at DDR3-DDR3 1066MHz or the DDR3-1333MHz at 1.5V SODIMM 204 Pin type RAM. I've done many upgrades to these sorts of laptops and this is what I suggest to you if you are prepared to spend the money and/or are prepared to do this?

1. Upgrade the CPU from your OEM B960 CPU to the i7-2630QM CPU as it will work 100% with your mobo. 
    2. Upgrade the memory so that you have the full RAM of 8GB (2x 4GB modules)
    3. Upgrade the OEM slow SATA-2 (3GB/sec) spinner HDD to a SATA-3 6GB/sec 2.5" SSD ok you only have a SATA-2 3GB/sec speed but a SATA-3 6GB/sec will work much better.
    4. This is an option only, upgrade your WiFi only 2.4G with no Bluetooth card to a new WiFi 2.4 & 5G/BT 4.0 Qualcomm Atheros AR9462-AR5B22 card and get its drivers from here for Win-10 QUALCOMM / ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows (Atheros的驅動程序) (ath-drivers.eu)

All these updates will make your E1-531 run Win-10 much better and much more efficiently but it will only be a browsing/word processing work sort of a laptop and for general good mainstream use but not gaming only very old games. The question is and as I've said before "Is It Worth It" ??? Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>>Thanks bro for information. I really appreciate. Few more things I like to know like upgrade motherboard for 12-18 ram, i3 processor with 250 sad attached and can it support my laptop or PC or should I change my processor. Please help I really appreciate>>>

Sorry. Not recommended. Because incremental costs of all these upgrades for this old laptop will likely exceed the cost of a new laptop with these upgrades already installed.

Jack E/NJ