CyberLink PowerDirector ¦ Dead on my SSD - Nitro5

Options
VIP
VIP Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Nitro5 512 SSD I5 Windows 10 Home 21H1.
I found CyberLink PowerDirector in 'Program Files\WindowsApps'. Can't do a thing with it. It has Registry entries.
'Double Click' the EXE: throws up an error; including as Administrator.
Can't access the Folder; including as Administrator.
CyberLink PowerDirector doesn't appear in Add/Remove. Can't 'Uninstall' it.
IT'S ABOUT AS GOOD TO ME, AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD !
Any info would be appreciated.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answers

• VIP

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    You can just delete it if you don't use. They made different icon to run from different places, like start-menu. Starting the .exe won't work.

The Trials & Tribulations that is the Minefield of Unsolicited Bundled Software ! Ho-hum !

• VIP

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Hi there.

After a long period of inactivity; it's time to readdress 'CYBERLINK'.
    'Imaged' the SSD, all the partitions, etc.
    Windows Explorer search (+ hidden) pulls up a list of entries. Screen dumped as a jpg.
    The 'CYBERLINK' folders don't delete. Changed the target folders 'owner' several time 'til they would delete. Revo Uninstaller Tools : 'Unrecoverable Delete' came up trumps with deleting stubborn folders & files.
    Back to the jpg. Deleted all 'CYBERLINK' folders & files; until a Windows Explorer search returned 'zero hits'.
    Attacked the 'registry' with the same forensic verve. All good. 'CYBERLINK' is no more: HURRAH !
    Re-imaged the SSD. A BEFORE & AFTER image safely stored on an external HDD.
    If I want to watch a movie, I watch it on my huge 'home cinema' setup. Phones & Computers are for communicating; certainly, not a replacement for a cinema; alternatively, an excellent vinyl rendition unit, sound suite.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,949 Pathfinder
    Options
    That program is called PowerDirector for Acer. It usually in the start menu.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • VIP

Tinkerer

Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    That program is called PowerDirector for Acer. It usually in the start menu.

No, PowerDirector for Acer isn't in the Start Menu.
    It only appears in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\CyberLinkCorp.ac.PowerDirectorforacerDesktop_14.0.4304.0_x64__ypz87dpxkv292\PowerDirector14
    IT DON'T WORK !

• AnhEZ28
    Options
    Try to search in the search bar, if it doesn't show, usually windows factory reset will make it reappear again.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • VIP

Tinkerer

Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    Try to search in the search bar, if it doesn't show, usually windows factory reset will make it reappear again.

Factory Reset is too drastic, too aggressive on the Nitro 5 config.

If I double-click the PDR.exe, it throws up.

Probably easier to use a Free Uninstaller, like REVO. If it works ?
    Alternatively, the long haul.
    Manually uninstall \CyberLinkCorp.ac.PowerDirectorforacerDesktop_14.0.4304.0_x64__ypz87dpxkv292\PowerDirector14 folder
    Then, punt through the Registry, removing Cyberlink PowerDirector entries.
    I have no intention of using PowerDirector. At a little over 1Gb, It can just sit on the SSD.
    There's a Free Cyberlink PowerDirector in the Microsoft Store; if required.

• AnhEZ28
    Options
    You can just delete it if you don't use. They made different icon to run from different places, like start-menu. Starting the .exe won't work.
  • VIP

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    AnhEZ28 said:

The Trials & Tribulations that is the Minefield of Unsolicited Bundled Software ! Ho-hum !

• davemathew76
    davemathew76 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

mine is in the start menu but says it cant open. we paid the high price for the nitro 5. it should at least come with a decent dvd player.

• VIP

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Hi there.

After a long period of inactivity; it's time to readdress 'CYBERLINK'.
    'Imaged' the SSD, all the partitions, etc.
    Windows Explorer search (+ hidden) pulls up a list of entries. Screen dumped as a jpg.
    The 'CYBERLINK' folders don't delete. Changed the target folders 'owner' several time 'til they would delete. Revo Uninstaller Tools : 'Unrecoverable Delete' came up trumps with deleting stubborn folders & files.
    Back to the jpg. Deleted all 'CYBERLINK' folders & files; until a Windows Explorer search returned 'zero hits'.
    Attacked the 'registry' with the same forensic verve. All good. 'CYBERLINK' is no more: HURRAH !
    Re-imaged the SSD. A BEFORE & AFTER image safely stored on an external HDD.
    If I want to watch a movie, I watch it on my huge 'home cinema' setup. Phones & Computers are for communicating; certainly, not a replacement for a cinema; alternatively, an excellent vinyl rendition unit, sound suite.