Need a bit of help finding out how much does my laptop support MAX RAM - Aspire 5 A515-44

BranislavZivanovic
BranislavZivanovic Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I recently bought a new Acer Aspire 5 A515-44 and want to upgrade my RAM to it's max but the information i am getting is mixed up.
Laptop full model name is : ACER Aspire5 A515-44 (NX.HWCEX.005). It has the AMD Ryzen 7 4700U processor. So on the store webpage in the comment section a technician added an comment where he stated that this model supports at MAX 16GB RAM, the picture that showcases the laptop says it supports up to 24GB RAM and finally when I run the CMD and look at the max RAM it says 64GB. I'm confused to be honest. If anyone has an answer i would be thrilled! Also does this laptop have an soldered RAM or two slots where you can change the RAM?
Here are some images : 
Image 1:

In the CMD it says the system supports 67108864KB - which translates to 64GB, and i'm assuming the "MemoryDevices" is how much slots it has?
Image 2:
The underlined blue is translated as: Supports up to 24GB memory for the required power to multitask more jobs at once. This is statement 2.
Image 3:

The technicians comment for the MAX ram. Roughly translated: You can check with our service center, but it should have 2 slots(RAM slots) and it could support to up 16GB RAM.

So all in all i am confused  :# . Would like to get an straight answer. Thanks!

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    I recently bought a new Acer Aspire 5 A515-44 and want to upgrade my RAM to it's max but the information i am getting is mixed up.
    Laptop full model name is : ACER Aspire5 A515-44 (NX.HWCEX.005). It has the AMD Ryzen 7 4700U processor. So on the store webpage in the comment section a technician added an comment where he stated that this model supports at MAX 16GB RAM, the picture that showcases the laptop says it supports up to 24GB RAM and finally when I run the CMD and look at the max RAM it says 64GB. I'm confused to be honest. If anyone has an answer i would be thrilled! Also does this laptop have an soldered RAM or two slots where you can change the RAM?
    Here are some images : 
    Image 1:
    In the CMD it says the system supports 67108864KB - which translates to 64GB, and i'm assuming the "MemoryDevices" is how much slots it has?
    Image 2:
    The underlined blue is translated as: Supports up to 24GB memory for the required power to multitask more jobs at once. This is statement 2.
    Image 3:
    The technicians comment for the MAX ram. Roughly translated: You can check with our service center, but it should have 2 slots(RAM slots) and it could support to up 16GB RAM.

Acer's service manual states clearley that your Aspire 5 A515-44 max ram is 32GB and it takes the DDR4-2400MHz modules only into its two slots for this laptop to operate at its best and most efficient performance. So, if you want the max ram then you have to put 2x 16GB DDR4-2400MHz 1.2V, SO-DIMM 260 pin modules so that it also operates in "Dual Mode" into both of its slots. The DDR4 ram has to be standard memory don't put overclocked memory, install CPUz and have a look in its "Memory" and "SPD" sections for the type of memory that you have OEM and match that to the higher 16GB ram modules. Its a simple equation as there are allot of false claims and suggestions for laptops and computers max ram. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi BranislavZivanovic,

32GB ram

This Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA can be upgraded to a max of 32GB ram and has 2x slots (2 banks of 1) for the ram and it comes with OEM ram of 8GB removable. 
  • BranislavZivanovic
    BranislavZivanovic Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Here are some images : 
    Image 1:
    Image 2:
    Image 3:

Acer's service manual states clearley that your Aspire 5 A515-44 max ram is 32GB and it takes the DDR4-2400MHz modules only into its two slots for this laptop to operate at its best and most efficient performance. So, if you want the max ram then you have to put 2x 16GB DDR4-2400MHz 1.2V, SO-DIMM 260 pin modules so that it also operates in "Dual Mode" into both of its slots. The DDR4 ram has to be standard memory don't put overclocked memory, install CPUz and have a look in its "Memory" and "SPD" sections for the type of memory that you have OEM and match that to the higher 16GB ram modules. Its a simple equation as there are allot of false claims and suggestions for laptops and computers max ram. 
    You have different models of acer 5 A515-44. For example my laptop has 8GB 3200MHz RAM memory installed. I did some additional research and found on the acer info section that my laptop supports up to 24GB of RAM. In the image that i provided there is clearly CPU-Z running and showing the additional info. A bit annoyed that i can't open the laptop myself to look around and physically see what's under the hood(if i do that my warranty would become invalid). Found out that my laptop has 2X4GB RAM, one is an SK HYNIX, and the other one is a MICRON. When i look up on the CMD terminal it says that i have two slots on DIMM 0 which i find strange? I have seen DIMM 0 DIMM 1, but never DIMM 0 DIMM 0. What does that mean?
    Thanks for answering, hope you can help out with this too.