Acer Aspire 5 A515-56G-79G5 gets black screen after updating Intel Graphics Driver

Gibbo2296
Gibbo2296 Member Posts: 6 New User
As the title says, I've tried to update the drivers from the official site of Intel for its GPU Chip, but when I'm installing it all I get is a black screen, forcing me to wait, reboot Win10 in safe mode and then resetting the driver in Device Manager. Any fix for this?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You need to download and install Intel driver version 27.20.100.8435 from Acer support site, these drivers are modified to suit your system, Intel drivers from Intel site are common drivers for various systems and may not be suitable for this particular model.
    Product Support | Acer United Kingdom
  • Gibbo2296
    Hi,
    You need to download and install Intel driver version 27.20.100.8435 from Acer support site, these drivers are modified to suit your system, Intel drivers from Intel site are common drivers for various systems and may not be suitable for this particular model.
    Product Support | Acer United Kingdom
    I tried, but still what it gave me is still a black screen.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    You could try a battery reset, remove AC adaptor, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15 Mins, reconnect AC adaptor and fully charge the battery before trying to start.
    Acer Internal Battery Reset - Acer Community
  • Gibbo2296
    edited June 2021
    Sorry, I checked now: I've already have installed the 27.20.100.8439 drivers (they're the one that I got back into when I resetted the drivers from safe mode) 
    The black screen issue was caused in these two times:
    - When I tried to download and install them from Intel website using Intel Driver Support Assistant

- When I downloaded and installed the one from Acer Website (
    VGA_Intel_27.20.100.8439_W10x64_A.zip)

Sorry for the italian screenshot, but I think you can understand ;)
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Gibbo2296,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. ​

• Gibbo2296
    Easwar said:
    Hi Gibbo2296,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. ​

And after all that I try to reinstall "VGA_Intel_27.20.100.8439_W10x64_A.zip" drivers on my computer?
  • Easwar
    Hi Gibbo2296,

After the Troubleshoot is there any thing on the display. Can you able to get the BIOS page.
  • Gibbo2296
    Easwar said:
    Hi Gibbo2296,

After the Troubleshoot is there any thing on the display. Can you able to get the BIOS page.
    Yes, the display it's working, however, after the black screen error (this happened yesterday) I was able to revert to the drivers in the screenshot you saw, now the display is working, but still I don't have the updated drivers and if I want to update all I get is a black screen, both from the ones from Intel and the ones from Acer websites, but for answering you question: the screen is now working, I just want to update the new drivers without getting the black screen error, I write this because I might have the doubt I express myself badly about the issue
  • Easwar
  • Ghailene
    Ghailene Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

did u fix it ?
  • ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Hi @Gibbo2296

If reinstalling the drivers didn't help you then you can try to do a reset to check if that makes any difference.

How Factory Reset Your PC using Acer Reset key
    1. Press the Power key for 5 seconds to power off Acer computer completely. Then restart the computer and press Alt + F10 when its logo shows up.
    2. Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC. 
    3. Click Next, then select Just remove my files.
    4. Press Reset to begin the recovery.
    NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.