Upgrade to dual band network adapter on Acer Aspire 4752

lu5219
lu5219 Member Posts: 2 New User
I have an Acer Aspire 4752 which I need to change the existing network adapter, model: Qualcomm AR5B97 to a dual band network adapter, model: Intel AC7260.

Installed the Intel network adapter, it's showing up in the Device Manager but I wasn't able to enable the WIFI.

Checked with Acer Support, was told that Acer 4752 will not able to support dual band network card. 

Has anyone here managed to upgrade to dual band network adapter? 

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    lu5219 said:
    I have an Acer Aspire 4752 which I need to change the existing network adapter, model: Qualcomm AR5B97 to a dual band network adapter, model: Intel AC7260.

Installed the Intel network adapter, it's showing up in the Device Manager but I wasn't able to enable the WIFI.

Checked with Acer Support, was told that Acer 4752 will not able to support dual band network card. 

"lu5219" firstly the Qualcomm AR5B97 is a only WiFi card and the Intel AC7260 is not compatible with your Aspire 4752 as this laptop comes OEM with two separate cards for either WiFi and/or BT(Bluetooth)! Your WiFi slot card is compatible with the Intel card model "Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 (Taylor Peak)" which is only a WiFi card.

These are the steps to activate WiFi or BT from the keyboard if you have installed the latest Intel drivers do this:
    • Reboot the laptop 
    • Then and after you have logged into the OS  
    • Press F3 key or F3+Fn keys as that should activate the WiFi and/or BT functions, 
    • If it doesn't? Then you need to go to Device Manager and uninstall both drivers then reboot and log into your OS 
    • And then press the F3 key or the F3 + Fn key which should activate your WiFi and BT. 
    If this doesn't work then uninstall drivers completely through "Device Manager" (for BT look in Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program) and reinstall both WiFi and BT drivers again completely.

Btw, your laptop is old and if you want to install BT (Bluetooth) features but that is if you can still get these BT parts for your Aspire 4752? Then you have to buy either the Atheros AR3011 or the Foxconn BRM 2070 BT type chip cards and the ones listed below from Acer and install the BT drivers for your appropriate card from the Acer drivers site for your Aspire 4752 page, also you need the connecting cable (see caption below here and at the bottom for details) as there are two different slots for the WiFi card and the Bluetooth cards.

Removing the Bluetooth Module

Also, the best way and the most efficient way to get the latest Intel driver packages is with the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" as that installs all Intel drivers in your laptop and gets them up to date, so try that first as the Acer drivers could be old and not up to the latest version. 

These are all the WiFi modules from the Acer Service Manual specs and part numbers fitted Acer Aspire 4752 Wi/Fi Modules
    • Foxconn BCM 43225/BCM 43227/Atheros HB97/Atheros HB95BG
    • Foxconn Atheros HB97 
    • Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205/633AN
    • Wilmax 612BNXHMWG/622AGXHRUG/622ANXHMWG

These are all the Acer Service Manual specs and part numbers for the fitted BT modules of the Acer Aspire 4752 of Interface Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR or Bluetooth 3.0 + HS:
    • Atheros BU12/BU22
    • Broadcom BCM2072/BCM2070

BROADCOM BCM20702 Bluetooth Card

BT CABLE and Acer part number that you need to be able to install and connect the BT cards to the motherboard. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    lu5219 said:

"lu5219" firstly the Qualcomm AR5B97 is a only WiFi card and the Intel AC7260 is not compatible with your Aspire 4752 as this laptop comes OEM with two separate cards for either WiFi and/or BT(Bluetooth)! Your WiFi slot card is compatible with the Intel card model "Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 (Taylor Peak)" which is only a WiFi card.

These are the steps to activate WiFi or BT from the keyboard if you have installed the latest Intel drivers do this:
    • Reboot the laptop 
    • Then and after you have logged into the OS  
    • Press F3 key or F3+Fn keys as that should activate the WiFi and/or BT functions, 
    • If it doesn't? Then you need to go to Device Manager and uninstall both drivers then reboot and log into your OS 
    • And then press the F3 key or the F3 + Fn key which should activate your WiFi and BT. 
    If this doesn't work then uninstall drivers completely through "Device Manager" (for BT look in Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program) and reinstall both WiFi and BT drivers again completely.

Btw, your laptop is old and if you want to install BT (Bluetooth) features but that is if you can still get these BT parts for your Aspire 4752? Then you have to buy either the Atheros AR3011 or the Foxconn BRM 2070 BT type chip cards and the ones listed below from Acer and install the BT drivers for your appropriate card from the Acer drivers site for your Aspire 4752 page, also you need the connecting cable (see caption below here and at the bottom for details) as there are two different slots for the WiFi card and the Bluetooth cards.

Removing the Bluetooth Module

Also, the best way and the most efficient way to get the latest Intel driver packages is with the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" as that installs all Intel drivers in your laptop and gets them up to date, so try that first as the Acer drivers could be old and not up to the latest version. 

These are all the WiFi modules from the Acer Service Manual specs and part numbers fitted Acer Aspire 4752 Wi/Fi Modules
    • Foxconn BCM 43225/BCM 43227/Atheros HB97/Atheros HB95BG
    • Foxconn Atheros HB97 
    • Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205/633AN
    • Wilmax 612BNXHMWG/622AGXHRUG/622ANXHMWG

These are all the Acer Service Manual specs and part numbers for the fitted BT modules of the Acer Aspire 4752 of Interface Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR or Bluetooth 3.0 + HS:
    • Atheros BU12/BU22
    • Broadcom BCM2072/BCM2070

BROADCOM BCM20702 Bluetooth Card

BT CABLE and Acer part number that you need to be able to install and connect the BT cards to the motherboard. 

• lu5219
    lu5219 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! Have been struggling to get an answer online. Much appreciated!
  • StevenGen
    lu5219 said:
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! Have been struggling to get an answer online. Much appreciated!
    Not a problem as this laptop is pretty old and not many people knw about its exact specs but what I've given you above is from Acers Service Manual and its 100% correct, good luck.