Is PH 315-53 Helios 300 Predator laptop compatible with Generation 4 SSD M.2 ?

Options
Slepetys
Slepetys Member Posts: 3 New User
I would like to add a new SSD M.2 to PH 315-53 Helios 300 Predator, but I do not know if it is compatible to Generation 4 or limited to Generation 3 M.2.

Also, is any specification for the SSD M.2 beyond the form factor (M 80mm) that I need to seek such as operational temperature ? 

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Slepetys

Glad to know you succeed. They are both typical PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD performance.

Answers

• ttttt
    Options
    @Slepetys

Your laptop uses the 10th gen CPU, so it must be a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, so just gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD only.

Need 11th gen CPU for PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

Do not understand your second question. Are you saying you are seeking M.2 drive with 22110 form factor to lower operating temperature? or something else?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can this SSD work on ph315-53?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Slepetys
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @Slepetys

Your laptop uses the 10th gen CPU, so it must be a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, so just gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD only.

Need 11th gen CPU for PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

Do not understand your second question. Are you saying you are seeking M.2 drive with 22110 form factor to lower operating temperature? or something else?

Hi @ttttt, thank you for your answer.
    My second question is if there is any specific characteristic of the M.2 that I need to check in order that it will comply with the laptop, such as operating temperature or energy consumption ?
    I am afraid to add a M.2 that requires a higher heat dissipation than the laptop can deal.

Tks
  • ttttt
    Options
    @egydiocoelho

I have no doubt that SAMSUNG 980 PRO will be backward compatible with PCIe 3.0 boards.

Whether the  M.2 SSD can achieve sequential read close to 7,000 MB/s PCIe 4.0 x4 speed is highly questionable. Paying double the price of PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD to get PCIe 3.0 x4 performance isn't a good idea at all.

Hope someone who did try that can verify the matter.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Slepetys
    Generally a M.2 NVMe SSD doesn't consume much energy, less than one watt when idle and still a couple watts below ten watts even at heavy load. It consumes less energy than HDD.

I'll pay more attention to the performance of the PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD, make sure it is close to 3,400-3,500 MB/s. Not all PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSDs performance are the same. Some are just 2,200 MB/s only.
    Also, make sure it is 2280 form factor and using the M-key (anyway, it is like a standard now, they are all like that). Just don't make a mistake getting M.2 SATA SSD or mSATA SSD.

It will be a good idea to get a piece of  heatsink to be used on the M.2 NVMe SSD yet it is still thin enough and can be fitted in the cramped space of your laptop.
  • Slepetys
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @ttttt , thank you for the answer. Today I received the Pioneer 2TB NVMe Gen3 (APS-SE20Q-2T) SSD and after some hard time to disassemble the laptop I was able to install it in the second SSD slot.

After rebooting, the Predator didn´t found it and I needed to update the bios to the last version and disk manager in windows found it.

The performance of the Pioneer SSD is quite good, despite lower in the SEQ1M Q1T1 read test as compared to the default WD SSD from Acer, as can be seen in the CrystalDiskMark screenshoot (Drive C is the original WD SSD and Drive D is the new one from Pioneer).

Something to bear in mind is the TBW of Pioneer is just a quarter per TB than the original WD SSD, a real limitation for this ssd, which is acceptable in my case given my indented use of the laptop.

Thank you again for the quick answers and help !

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Slepetys

Glad to know you succeed. They are both typical PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD performance.