Acer E5-574G-565L Black Screen

waiian
waiian Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Dear People,

I read a few good pointers but nothing fixed it yet:

I received an Acer E5 that had been playing up booting up for a while. It took sometimes 3 minutes for the display to turn on. When I started looking into it, there were a few updates in the queue that had failed before.
And while the computer was restarting several times it did happen to me: No image for a good 30 seconds and then it turned on.
Another time it only turned on when I hit the BIOS key.

So I thought it would be a good idea to rerun the updates and also update the BIOS because Windows 10 at some stage needs the latest support I feel.
A couple more restarts were buggy but worked.

I reset the battery, took out the CMOS battery, nothing ruined it but also didn't improve anything.

Then all of a sudden, one Windows driver update took a really long time and we had to shut the laptop off. It did come on afterwards once but not anymore after. Sometimes, the screen would turn slightly less black as if it's turned on but displaying black colour.

Now I read about BIOS update through Crisis, but I guess it's not something that would work through Windows 10.

I managed to extract the ZRW.fd file from the 1.18 BIOS update but would like to confirm a proper headless BIOS update routine for this specific model.

Any ideas? I see that it is a common issue with Acer laptops and that most got fixed without any hardware intervention.

Kind Regards

Best Answer

• waiian

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I solved it:

It was, as expected, the BIOS. Right hunch egydio!
    After I had restored basic functionality, it became clearer during Windows XP and 7 installation attempts. The BIOS didn't support ACPI. I can't elaborate on details because I couldn't check what the previous version was but it happened with a version 1.11 installed.

So the way to success:

I actually don't exactly remember which way of wincrisis worked, but google it.
    I prepared a USB drive with a BIOS. Again, not sure which worked. I tried v1.18, 1.11 and 1.02 but in the end some way worked and it displayed 1.11.

Plugged that USB drive in. I even formatted one with FAT16 which was very slow but might have done the trick.
    The way I extracted the .fd BIOS firmware files was:
    - Download the BIOS zip and extract the exe
    - run the exe on any computer, leave it displaying an error because it won't be compatible
    - open task manager, select the corresponding process called something "Insyde"
    - right click and say "open file location"
    - copy all the files to a temporary location or choose the `.fd file directly and copy it on the USB drive.
    - I didn*t rename mine. It was called ZWR.fd

I booted into the special mode:
    - Turn off
    - unplug power
    - hold FN + Esc and keep holding
    - plug in power
    - press Power button once and let go off this while still holding FN + Esc
    - hold FN + Esc for another 1-2 sec and let go
    - Left LED flashes blue

One of many tries looked successful - with the light flashing for a few minutes (less than 10, I would say), then rebooting and shutting down.
    BIOS was still not accessible, no screen.
    Other attempts didn't look as promising, but hey - one of them did the trick and jumpstarted that BIOS.

Anyways. At some stage my Windows 10 SSD that I've put in from another PC finally booted up.
    What did I do? Let Windows Update install all necessary drivers and such... forced a involuntary reboot all of a sudden and again - no screen after that. Then, with patience the screen just came on after a few minutes. I could enter the BIOS but no changes to bootmodes would get Windows running again. I didn't have an external Windows 10 install Stick ready by then so I couldn't force it into safeboot. I am convinced it wasn't dead but no interest in wasting time at that ü

So I decided to do a fresh install of Windows XP because I had a CD. That only worked after pressing F7 during install. Due to the unsupported AHCI mentioned earlier. But then, all good.
    Windows 7 install also flawless but no drivers whatsoever...
    At this stage, I was running BIOS v1.11 and everything looked ok.
    Then all of a sudden again, strange behaviour but I could boot eventually. Since then - all good so far. Installed Windows 10 fresh and patched that up with everything. I installed the actual v1.18 BIOS exe from Acer's website either still on Windows 7 or already 10 - don't remember that detail.
    The Insyde BIOS update through Windows Update showed up for a while although I had already v1.18 running. So without touching that, after several reboots it just disappeared.

Long story short:
    I tried many different combinations with the FN+Esc Bootmode and didn't give up until I had a BIOS settings menu.
    I guess the BIOS update through Windows update is the safer way as Acer seems to have trouble with that. That's the first time I saw Windows providing a BIOS update and no one would do that step without some reasons behind. I also never had a failed BIOS install before, now I know - Acer can...
    I still don't exclude a hardware error on the mainboard. Because the internal WiFi is and was pretty weak before. For more than a year at least. But at the same time, it'sactually more probable to be an incompatibility of drivers and Windows updates.

Now we wait and see if it stays stable. The original SSD with it's WIndows 10 is back in, adapted all the internal devices again, updated alright and runs smooth.

Answers

• You said this "Then all of a sudden, one Windows driver update took a really long time and we had to shut the laptop off." This update that windows update downloaded, was the intel firmware driver insyde?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Sounds like an intermittent lid screen problem to me. Does HDMI out to a TV screen seem OK?

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi waiian,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
  • waiian

Tinkerer

You said this "Then all of a sudden, one Windows driver update took a really long time and we had to shut the laptop off." This update that windows update downloaded, was the intel firmware driver insyde?
    I purposely left that one. It was in the list of optional ones but on of the critical main updates was running.
  • waiian

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sounds like an intermittent lid screen problem to me. Does HDMI out to a TV screen seem OK?
    I checked that. Neither VGA nor HDMI gave any signal.
    It isn't common for a screen to turn off and back on without any mechanical movement, so no - not the problem at all.
  • waiian

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi waiian,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
    Yes, all normal:
    Right LED
    orange - battery charges
    blue - fully charged

Left LED
    blue - Power on
    flashing blue - FN+Esc Mode
  • waiian

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I solved it:

It was, as expected, the BIOS. Right hunch egydio!
    After I had restored basic functionality, it became clearer during Windows XP and 7 installation attempts. The BIOS didn't support ACPI. I can't elaborate on details because I couldn't check what the previous version was but it happened with a version 1.11 installed.

So the way to success:

I actually don't exactly remember which way of wincrisis worked, but google it.
    I prepared a USB drive with a BIOS. Again, not sure which worked. I tried v1.18, 1.11 and 1.02 but in the end some way worked and it displayed 1.11.

Plugged that USB drive in. I even formatted one with FAT16 which was very slow but might have done the trick.
    The way I extracted the .fd BIOS firmware files was:
    - Download the BIOS zip and extract the exe
    - run the exe on any computer, leave it displaying an error because it won't be compatible
    - open task manager, select the corresponding process called something "Insyde"
    - right click and say "open file location"
    - copy all the files to a temporary location or choose the `.fd file directly and copy it on the USB drive.
    - I didn*t rename mine. It was called ZWR.fd

I booted into the special mode:
    - Turn off
    - unplug power
    - hold FN + Esc and keep holding
    - plug in power
    - press Power button once and let go off this while still holding FN + Esc
    - hold FN + Esc for another 1-2 sec and let go
    - Left LED flashes blue

One of many tries looked successful - with the light flashing for a few minutes (less than 10, I would say), then rebooting and shutting down.
    BIOS was still not accessible, no screen.
    Other attempts didn't look as promising, but hey - one of them did the trick and jumpstarted that BIOS.

Anyways. At some stage my Windows 10 SSD that I've put in from another PC finally booted up.
    What did I do? Let Windows Update install all necessary drivers and such... forced a involuntary reboot all of a sudden and again - no screen after that. Then, with patience the screen just came on after a few minutes. I could enter the BIOS but no changes to bootmodes would get Windows running again. I didn't have an external Windows 10 install Stick ready by then so I couldn't force it into safeboot. I am convinced it wasn't dead but no interest in wasting time at that ü

So I decided to do a fresh install of Windows XP because I had a CD. That only worked after pressing F7 during install. Due to the unsupported AHCI mentioned earlier. But then, all good.
    Windows 7 install also flawless but no drivers whatsoever...
    At this stage, I was running BIOS v1.11 and everything looked ok.
    Then all of a sudden again, strange behaviour but I could boot eventually. Since then - all good so far. Installed Windows 10 fresh and patched that up with everything. I installed the actual v1.18 BIOS exe from Acer's website either still on Windows 7 or already 10 - don't remember that detail.
    The Insyde BIOS update through Windows Update showed up for a while although I had already v1.18 running. So without touching that, after several reboots it just disappeared.

Long story short:
    I tried many different combinations with the FN+Esc Bootmode and didn't give up until I had a BIOS settings menu.
    I guess the BIOS update through Windows update is the safer way as Acer seems to have trouble with that. That's the first time I saw Windows providing a BIOS update and no one would do that step without some reasons behind. I also never had a failed BIOS install before, now I know - Acer can...
    I still don't exclude a hardware error on the mainboard. Because the internal WiFi is and was pretty weak before. For more than a year at least. But at the same time, it'sactually more probable to be an incompatibility of drivers and Windows updates.

Now we wait and see if it stays stable. The original SSD with it's WIndows 10 is back in, adapted all the internal devices again, updated alright and runs smooth.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Good for you.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi waiian,

Thanks for your solution.