My AO1-431-C2Q8 won't turn on.

Options
Lumo
Lumo Member Posts: 5 New User
Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have an AO1-431-C2Q8 and it was running very slowly and wouldn't allow anything to update so I thought the best thing to do would be a restoration to factory settings. I started doing this and it got to around 62% done then stopped saying that there was a problem and it couldn't complete the process. In frustration I shut the laptop down. I tried to start it today and it gets as far as the ACER logo then goes black and then brings up the ACER logo again and just keeps doing the same thing over and over. Please can someone tell me how I can get it to start up windows and also how I can get it to restore to factory settings? I am not a computer whizz but will gladly try and answer any questions. Thanks in advance Lumo

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Lumo said:
    Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have an AO1-431-C2Q8 and it was running very slowly and wouldn't allow anything to update so I thought the best thing to do would be a restoration to factory settings. I started doing this and it got to around 62% done then stopped saying that there was a problem and it couldn't complete the process. In frustration I shut the laptop down. I tried to start it today and it gets as far as the ACER logo then goes black and then brings up the ACER logo again and just keeps doing the same thing over and over. Please can someone tell me how I can get it to start up windows and also how I can get it to restore to factory settings? I am not a computer whizz but will gladly try and answer any questions. Thanks in advance Lumo
    Firstly and what you have to realise is that your Aspire AO1-431-C2Q8 is a pretty minimal and Cloudbook type laptop and its slow speed factor is inevitable as its only got a Celeron N3050 and comes with internal 2GB DDR3-L type memory and it only has an internal 32GB eMMC hard drive, which is really only for and to store its OEM Win-10 Home operating system. All your files are provisioned to be stored on the included "1TB One Drive" Microsoft cloud storage, storing anything else on its OEM internal 32GB drive will slow your AO1-431-C2Q8 down considerably and/or will make it unusable if its at near or max capacity. Your Aspire AO1-431-C2Q8 has these possible upgrade possibilities by means of using a type Kingston DataTraveler Type-A USB Flash Drive.
    Aspire AO1-431-C2Q8 specs 
    Make & Model:Acer Aspire One CloudBook AO1-431-C2Q8
    Device Type:Laptop
    Memory Ram TypeSDHC, SDXC
    Memory SpeedN/A
    Maximum Memory512GB Using SDXC Cards
    Maximum Memory Per SlotNot possible to upgrade the memory using RAM.

With the failed restore there are numerous ways to fix them but I'm not going to go through them here as its a pretty simple process and too long, have a look at these guides "System Restore Failed in Windows 10" as that will solve your problems.
  • Lumo
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that detailed response which will hopefully solve most of the problem. The only thing remaining, and I guess the most important, is that since the failed restore I can't get the laptop to turn on which obviously means I can't do anything else. Kind regards Lumo
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Lumo,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • Lumo
    Options
    Hello again and thanks for those suggestions Easwar. I got into the BIOS page and did what you said and the laptop then rebooted but it is still not booting properly. What happens is it starts and shows the Acer logo for around 10 seconds and then the screen goes black, but still lit, for another 10 seconds before going proper black and starting the process again. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks again Lumo
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi Lumo,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. ​

• Lumo
    Options
    Hi Easwar,

Tried that and it doesn't seem to drain the power. I push the power button after doing it without plugging in and it just goes into the loop again. Is it possible that I wiped some or all of Windows when trying to factory restore? Also tried opening in safe mode by pushing F8 and that doesn't work either. Thanks Lumo
  • Easwar
    Options

Hi Lumo,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG

• Lumo
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi Easwar,

I have this feeling that I'm probably better off abandoning this machine and getting a new one, it's most likely cheaper than fixing it anyway, but thank you for all of your help.