Clocks for 4/12 minute at ACER logo before getting to Win10 login screen A315-51

Trample
Trample Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Laptop has had a long startup time for at least 2 years if not longer. I have tried fixing by updating firmware, updating drivers (system & applications), but nothing seemed to help. I have now reinstalled the OS with a fresh copy of Win10 with no additional applications installed except Chrome. Still experiencing the same issue. I have included some stats below. Any ideas?

Model Name: 
A315-51
BIOS = V1.14, Fast boot Enabled
SanDisk = SD8TB8U256G1001
OS = Win10 Pro
Disk Management

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>> I have now reinstalled the OS with a fresh copy of Win10 >>>

What do you mean by a fresh copy? Did you reset the machine to a factory-fresh ACER version of Win10 using the ALT+F10 cold boot method from the hidden ACER recovery partition?

Jack E/NJ

• Trample
    Initially, I reinstalled Win10 twice @ Update & Security/Recovery/Reset this PC. I used 'Keep my files' option first. No change with that, so I then reinstalled a 2nd time using 'Remove everything' option. No change with that option either. After your suggestion I tried reinstalling from the Acer recovery partition. Still the same issue. Clocks for 4 1/2 minutes @ Acer logo before getting login screen. FYI, I also tried resetting Bios to default. That had no impact either.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Trample,

So you already done with all T/S. Then it may be some hardware issue. I suggest you contact acer tech support. 

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
  • JackE
    (1) What external devices are using the USB, HDMI, etc ports?
    (2) Have you made any hardware changes inside RAM, etc?
    (3) Download and run CrytalDiskInfo freeware to check SSD health

Jack E/NJ

• Trample
    Hi Jack, thanks for your time and working with me on this.

(1) What external devices are using the USB, HDMI, etc ports?
              A Logitech USB dongle for pairing a keyboard & mouse. I took it out and rebooted, but no change.
    (2) Have you made any hardware changes inside RAM, etc?
              No changes have been made
    (3) Download and run CrytalDiskInfo freeware to check SSD health
              I had already downloaded the SanDisk dashboard and everything is good. I also downloaded and ran CrystalDiskInfo at your suggestion and it returned everything good there as well.

C'est bizarre. That's for sure!

• JackE
    >>>Fast boot Enabled>>>

Uncheck fast startup option in ControlPanel's power button app. Then exit Windows normally. Remove the charger. Press and hold a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for 30 seconds. Plug charger back in but wait till the battery charge LED changes from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn it back on again and time slow boot option to the login screen.

Jack E/NJ

• Trample
    I had already tried disabling fast startup, but it had no effect. I tried the rest of the steps also that you stated but it still clocks for 4 1/2 minutes before getting the login screen.
  • JackE
    >>>BIOS = V1.14, Fast boot Enabled>>>

Did you also disable this in the BIOS firmware when disabling Win10 fast startup and the pinhole reset?

Jack E/NJ

• Trample
    D'oh! Good catch. I initially just unchecked it in Power Options and forgot to also disable it in the BIOS. 

I disabled it in BIOS and reran the reset steps above with my fingers crossed. However, no such luck. No better.