Laptop upgradability

Swetansu
Swetansu Member Posts: 1 New User
I have the exact same config as per https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-v7-481-6607-14-core-i5-3337u-8-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/

I wanted to know if I can upgrade the CPU to 9th or 10th gen i5. And, is there a slot to add a dedicated GPU.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sorry no. The i5-3337u CPU is in a soldered ball grid array (BGA) socket that can't be replaced. Likewise, the GPU socket is for BGA nvidia chips that can only be added by a full board solder reflow. You can however upgrade the entire mainboard with a V5/V7 series discrete  GPU  with dedicated 4GB VRAM with either 3rd gen  i5 or i7. New mainboards priced between $100-200 from Aliexpress, a fairly reliable vendor  concessionaire. Search by Part nos shown  below or google the keywords V5-572G V5-572PG V7-581G or V7-581PG and motherboard for other vendors. V5/v7 mainboards listed should all fit the case. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sorry no. The i5-3337u CPU is in a soldered ball grid array (BGA) socket that can't be replaced. Likewise, the GPU socket is for BGA nvidia chips that can only be added by a full board solder reflow. You can however upgrade the entire mainboard with a V5/V7 series discrete  GPU  with dedicated 4GB VRAM with either 3rd gen  i5 or i7. New mainboards priced between $100-200 from Aliexpress, a fairly reliable vendor  concessionaire. Search by Part nos shown  below or google the keywords V5-572G V5-572PG V7-581G or V7-581PG and motherboard for other vendors. V5/v7 mainboards listed should all fit the case. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ