Acer Aspire 7741ZG charger and charger port works but charger port receiver of motherboard doesn't

Capturis
Capturis Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello,

I bought a not working pc and im trying to fix it, it does not turn on.
I created on imgur list because images too big here, you should be able to understand easily, I also added annotations to help you understand, every images are sorted correctly: https://imgur.com/a/OPHuBmX
First I bought a new charger port because I broken the last one, but they work the same because I checked before. This pc never worked(I bought it broken) and show no sign of life, no lights or led, nothing.
My pc is Acer 7741ZG (ACER ASPIRE 7741ZG-P614G75Mnkk to be more precise)
To help you I showed all the steps in photo with a multimeter, you can skip to the last video that show you the problem, everything receive power except the charger port receiver on the video, it receive too less power(less than 1V) and not 12V as needed.
Could you help me please, Im trying to find if the receiver is the problem, and I don't know where I can find a new one for my pc and don't know how to remove the last one or stick the new one and doesn't even know where to find one.

Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    It is much more practical to simply replace the mainboard than to try to repair its charge control components & circuitry which will likely cost more than a new mainboard itself with shipping.  If you can wait a few weeks, new motherboards are less than $50 from Aliexpress vendors which are usually fairly reliable.

Jack E/NJ

• Capturis
    The problem is that I should also replace all components(intel cpu and amd gpu and another things).
    Do you know maybe where I can find this thing with the 5 pins:  I don't know what's the name, or where can I buy it? I think it could be more cheap, do you also have a video or tutorial that shows how to replace something like that?
    I also checked if there is power transferred into the motherboard, I touched random things on motherboard, some works and transfer less than 1V but some doesn't(I don't really know if I did correctly anyway, so maybe motherboard works and maybe not, I prefer try to replace the 5 pins thing before)
    I also wonder if this is the original.
    I think its findable on ebay(ps: I live in france) but its overrided by the charger jack/port things, but maybe the component is findable on the net.
  • JackE
    That connector can be repaired with solder and copper wire of similar diameter to other 4 pins. That would be less stress on mainboard than replacing the entire connector.

Jack E/NJ

• Capturis
    Unfortunately, I havent got any wires, is there another way?
  • JackE
    Sorry, no. Buying solid copper wire from a local hardware or electronics store and using a small soldering iron to repair the pin will be a whole lot easier and cheaper than trying to find , then replace the entire socket without damaging the mainboard. You also need at minimum a heat gun to re-flow the solder at all five pins at the same time so the connector can be pulled away from the mainboard. Most multi-pin components mounted tbrough-hole on a mainboard can only be removed with specialty equipment or full board solder re-flow.  Mouser Electronics and Digi-Key both sell discrete connectors like the one you pictured as they're very commonly used in many different laptop brands. You may be better off taking the board to a local laptop shop for an estimate on a repair like this.

Jack E/NJ