Recent Error nvidia control panel Aspire A515-51G-515

edtyjsxrhbsztruyw56y
edtyjsxrhbsztruyw56y Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Windows 10 on Aspire A515-51G-515J w/ built-in Nvidia GForce MX-150 & Intel UHD Graphics 620.

I recently recognized that my high end CAD software was not using the GForce engine while in the past it had.  I specifically bought this laptop model to take advantage of the GForce processor.  Today I tried many attempts to get functionality back and have failed to do so.  When trying to use "Nvidia Control Panel" I get the message in quotes shown in the subject line of this post.  I do not know what caused the failure but I suspect some operating system or driver software updated behind the scenes without my permission.  Go figure, my worst nightmare.

Throughout the functioning timeframe (when GForce did work as expected) I had used Device Manager to disable the listed Intel processor and specifically enable the listed GForce processor so as to eliminated conflicts.  It worked then but now it does not.

Today I went to the ACER driver downloads with my SN and was directed to the presumably correct software for my hardware build.  I deleted all previously installed Nvidia software.  I downloaded and installed the software which completed as expected.  Rebooted.  Ran "Nvidia Control Panel" again resulting in the same error message.

After investigating many suggested fixes posted on the "net" most of which were useless or not on point I arrived here.  I considered one fix which suggested going into the bios and setting the graphics engine manually.  I've done this type of thing before for other add-on hardware on previous machines and the idea seemed solid.  The problem with that solution is that the bios settings are the most sparse of any I have ever seen and no advanced setting regarding default graphics engines was even available.

Can someone definitively tell me whether my Nvidia graphics engine just "took a dump" or that there are driver problems with those offered on the ACER support service?  For some reason the driver/graphics processor can no longer "see" the display.  Any well-informed theories are welcomed from the "Community."  Should I just accept the fact that my ACER product is no longer capable of meeting the expectations I thought I payed for?

The graphics of this model have been a continual disappointment from about my fist half year of ownership because the screen has developed increasingly larger blotches of dead pixels in both lower corners.  Imagine getting permanent patches of white 1/4" square on your screen.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Windows 10 on Aspire A515-51G-515J w/ built-in Nvidia GForce MX-150 & Intel UHD Graphics 620.

I recently recognized that my high end CAD software was not using the GForce engine while in the past it had.  I specifically bought this laptop model to take advantage of the GForce processor.  Today I tried many attempts to get functionality back and have failed to do so.  When trying to use "Nvidia Control Panel" I get the message in quotes shown in the subject line of this post.  I do not know what caused the failure but I suspect some operating system or driver software updated behind the scenes without my permission.  Go figure, my worst nightmare.

Throughout the functioning timeframe (when GForce did work as expected) I had used Device Manager to disable the listed Intel processor and specifically enable the listed GForce processor so as to eliminated conflicts.  It worked then but now it does not.

Today I went to the ACER driver downloads with my SN and was directed to the presumably correct software for my hardware build.  I deleted all previously installed Nvidia software.  I downloaded and installed the software which completed as expected.  Rebooted.  Ran "Nvidia Control Panel" again resulting in the same error message.

After investigating many suggested fixes posted on the "net" most of which were useless or not on point I arrived here.  I considered one fix which suggested going into the bios and setting the graphics engine manually.  I've done this type of thing before for other add-on hardware on previous machines and the idea seemed solid.  The problem with that solution is that the bios settings are the most sparse of any I have ever seen and no advanced setting regarding default graphics engines was even available.

Can someone definitively tell me whether my Nvidia graphics engine just "took a dump" or that there are driver problems with those offered on the ACER support service?  For some reason the driver/graphics processor can no longer "see" the display.  Any well-informed theories are welcomed from the "Community."  Should I just accept the fact that my ACER product is no longer capable of meeting the expectations I thought I payed for?

The graphics of this model have been a continual disappointment from about my fist half year of ownership because the screen has developed increasingly larger blotches of dead pixels in both lower corners.  Imagine getting permanent patches of white 1/4" square on your screen.
    Reinstate the Intel GPU driver and all its functions, as the Intel and the NVIDIA GPU's integrate their functions appropriately for all graphics low and HD and the NVIDIA GPU triggers when complex graphics are needed, don't change and/or disable the Intel GPU in "Device Manager" or change any settings!  These two graphics hardware components are made to work together and changing any settings as what has happened to you will cause the problems that you are having, leave all settings at their default settings! 

Uninstall the Intel and GeForce drivers > Reboot the laptop and install the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)" so that you get all the appropriate Intel drivers that your laptop needs, then, install the appropriate NVIDIA GeForce MX-150 driver version 466.47 WHQL for your secondary GPU and go to the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor > High performance NVIDIA processor and leave it at the default settings as that is the appropriate settings to use. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Reinstate the Intel GPU driver and all its functions, as the Intel and the NVIDIA GPU's integrate their functions appropriately for all graphics low and HD and the NVIDIA GPU triggers when complex graphics are needed, don't change and/or disable the Intel GPU in "Device Manager" or change any settings!  These two graphics hardware components are made to work together and changing any settings as what has happened to you will cause the problems that you are having, leave all settings at their default settings! 

Uninstall the Intel and GeForce drivers > Reboot the laptop and install the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)" so that you get all the appropriate Intel drivers that your laptop needs, then, install the appropriate NVIDIA GeForce MX-150 driver version 466.47 WHQL for your secondary GPU and go to the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor > High performance NVIDIA processor and leave it at the default settings as that is the appropriate settings to use. 
  • edtyjsxrhbsztruyw56y
    edtyjsxrhbsztruyw56y Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2021
    StevenGen,

Thanks for your advice.  It's a bit counter-intuitive to have two graphics processors enabled unless you know that they were designed to work together.  My initial reason for disabling the Intel GPU was that my mouse control was horrendous when they both were enabled.  After I disabled either one or the other the mouse control went back to normal again.  When using a CAD system losing mouse control is like having a hand cut off.  I will try enabling both engines  but if mouse control becomes erratic again I will be back to square one.

Regards,

• if the problem still occurs, try uninstalling the NVidia drivers with the DDU program via safeboot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)