Can’t boot from USB - Aspire XC-895

CHopkinsUK
CHopkinsUK Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi Everyone,

I bought an Aspire XC-895 today and I decided to replace the 1TB HDD with a 500GB SSD.  I managed to clone the drive successfully but whenever I try to boot now I get “Windows needs to be repaired” after the Acer splash screen comes up and this happens if I use the HDD as well.

I thought I would use my Windows 10 USB stick to install Windows 10 that way.  When I go to the boot menu, I just get the option for Windows Boot Manager.  It doesn’t matter which USB port I try, none of them work.  The BIOS has an option to disable secure boot but it doesn’t have an option to disable CSM.  

I’m at my whits end now TBH and I’m not sure what I can try next

HELP!

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,564 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Have you tried (FN key and F12 key) or just the F12 key , simultaneously while booting ? 
  • Larryodie
    I should have said: Hold the FN key and tap the F12 key while booting, on some keyboards just tap the F12 Key. 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @CHopkinsUK

Looks like we have similar problem, and I am working on it.

Will post here for the results.

I wonder is it because the Aspire TC-885 and XC-895 cannot handle the process for booting from USB flash drive?

Hope someone using these PCs and succeeded in booting Win 10 from USB flash drive can answer our questions.
  • JonathanSA
    JonathanSA Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, I disabled secure boot (though not if that was an issue).
    Then formatted the USB ex-FAT. That worked. NTFS does not work.
  • frank4360
    frank4360 Member Posts: 3 New User

I had this problem - the answer was in the BIOS. There is now a new option in the BIOS which seems to make no sense.

"Removable Device" does not allow USB

You must now insert the USB before powering up and entering the BIOS, then select the new option "Hard Disk Drive Priority" - yes, I do mean Hard Drive!

Because the USB stick is inserted there is now an option to select that as the initial load device - in my case the 3 options are 1 Manjaro, 2 Windoze and 3 the USB stick. Changing the sequence will now allow booting from the USB stick.

• Larryodie

Be sure thet BOOT ENABLE is ENABLED in Bios.

ENABLE. Save and reboot using F12 key.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Larry means "boot menu enable" not just "boot enable". :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie

Yes from my TC-895-UA92. It is a one time change.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

And you typically want to disable it once you are done booting from an external drive, since leaving it enabled is a security hole…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.