can't boot from USB - ACER XC 895

OSK
OSK Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,
Just bought an ACER XC 895 and was trying to create an image of the hard disk before installing any software.
However when I tried to boot from from an Acronis true image usb the PC won't boot from it. Read few thread here and tried to follow advice but can't still boot from usb (when it boots from my laptop). I entered supervisor password to change from  uefi to legacy but for some reasons uefi is not highlighted so cannot change it.
Any help please?
thanks.
Osk

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Dear OSK,

Have you checked that Secure Boot is Disabled or Off with your desktop?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Most of the newer machines no longer have a legacy mode, since no OSes have needed it for many years. I'm surprised the Acronis image isn't setup for UEFI. Are you using an older version?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OSK

Tinkerer

Thanks B. Yes I am using Acronis 2015.
    I have a newer version on a CD but the machine does not have a DVD/CD slot.
    osk
  • OSK

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    Dear OSK,

Have you checked that Secure Boot is Disabled or Off with your desktop?

Thanks T. Yes I have disable secured boot.
    osk
  • ttttt
    Dear OSK,

I would suggest using the WIN 10 to create the image file (Control Panel -> Backup and Restore (Windows 7) ).
    I use it frequently with my desktop and it is reliable .
  • OSK

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    Dear OSK,

I would suggest using the WIN 10 to create the image file (Control Panel -> Backup and Restore (Windows 7) ).
    I use it frequently with my desktop and it is reliable .

Thanks T. Very Helpful.
    Osk
  • pgv
    pgv Member Posts: 1 New User
    I created a bootable USB stick with the Linux application Ubuntu 20.04 to create a dual boot with Windows10.I used RUFUS to load the Ubuntu 20.04 iso. After pressing F2 at startup I put the "removable device" option (there is NO USB option!!!!) at  top of the boot options. After save and exit, the system started again. Instead of starting up from USB it started up Windows10. My Acer Aspire XC-895 is brand new. So I need a Bios repair. Otherwise this desktop is useless for me.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    pgv said:
    I created a bootable USB stick with the Linux application Ubuntu 20.04 to create a dual boot with Windows10.I used RUFUS to load the Ubuntu 20.04 iso. After pressing F2 at startup I put the "removable device" option (there is NO USB option!!!!) at  top of the boot options. After save and exit, the system started again. Instead of starting up from USB it started up Windows10. My Acer Aspire XC-895 is brand new. So I need a Bios repair. Otherwise this desktop is useless for me.
    set a supervisor password in the bios and then enable the f12 boot option (disable secure boot too whilst you're in the bios).  Save and exit with the bootable usb stick already plugged in, tap away on f12 and select the usb device from the boot menu.  voila.
  • Chris2021
    Chris2021 Member Posts: 7 New User
    I just done this after installing an m.2 nvme ssd chip last night and faced the same problem, press del on the keyboard, enter bios setup, disable secure boot and make sure boot option is enabled too, save and exit bios and then make sure you have the fn + F12 key pressed to slect your boot device 
  • JonathanSA
    JonathanSA Member Posts: 2 New User
    For an ACER Aspire X, I formatted the USB as Ex-FAT. NTFS did not work. Also disabled secure boot, though not sure if that was necessary.
  • ptiang74
    ptiang74 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I am having the same problem with a TC895, have you found a fix?
  • ttttt
    @ekh

Confused ! 
    You said "successfully booted Linux from the USB stick by selecting Removable device"

and then later "
    The problem now is that the internal HD with Windows is not visible, so i can not install Linux Mint"

I would suggest you start a new thread of your own by clicking "Ask a Question" on upper right hand corner of this page.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Yes, we're going to need more information... Like which XC-895 model and specs does he have? Is it booting Windows form a SSD or HDD? If HDD does it have an Intel Optane caching drive installed? Is the system set for normal drive access, Optane or raid? I'm guessing raid since Linux isn't seeing the drive...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.