[Predator PT515-51] Won't boot with Mantiz Saturn Pro 2 eGPU connected

Options
octylFractal
octylFractal Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2021 in Predator Laptops
For various reasons I have bought an external GPU, the Mantiz Saturn Pro 2, and am currently using it with my computer, a Predator PT515-51. However, if it is plugged in at startup, the BIOS just freezes on the Predator logo. I am currently working around this by leaving it unplugged until my OS can take over and hotplug the eGPU, but it's not a great experience. I'm on the latest BIOS (V1.13) already, so I'm hoping there's some way to contact Acer directly even though I'm outside of warranty and get a fix into the BIOS, or an option I missed.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    Options
    For various reasons I have bought an external GPU, the Mantiz Saturn Pro 2, and am currently using it with my computer, a Predator PT515-51. However, if it is plugged in at startup, the BIOS just freezes on the Predator logo. I am currently working around this by leaving it unplugged until my OS can take over and hotplug the eGPU, but it's not a great experience. I'm on the latest BIOS (V1.13) already, so I'm hoping there's some way to contact Acer directly even though I'm outside of warranty and get a fix into the BIOS, or an option I missed.
    The Predator PT515-51 v1.13 BIOS only updates the vulnerabilities of the Management Engine Firmware (Intel® ME FW) and the Power Management Controller (PMC) Security Vulnerabilities, it has nothing to do with your GPU!  Your eGPU boot problems are related to and that your system can't initialise the Mantiz Saturn Pro 2 at "Post Boot" and you probably haven't installed it properly. What GPU card are you using? Have you got the appropriate driver installed and/or have you setup the eGPU settings correctly? Or your drivers are pushing overclocking way too aggressively so change to the "Studio" drivers, and also grab MSI Afterburner and underclock the card by around 50mhz-100mhz, seems to ensure stability until they fix the drivers etc etc as there are allot of variables that the "Mantiz Saturn Pro 2" requires e.g. and have a look at their FAQ's and other blogs on this subject, as the Predator PT515-51 BIOS has nothing to do with your problem(s). 
  • octylFractal
    octylFractal Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    The card inside is an NVIDIA GeForce 1030, so fairly standard and pretty old. My OS is capable of using the GPU after hotplugging it, so there's no driver issues. Like I said at the start, it's not even getting to start the bootloader when plugged in, because I can't even boot into e.g. safe mode, or another disk, or bring up the BIOS menu.