Acer Aspire 3 A315-23 Series - Upgrade and warranty

proller14
proller14 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi!

I ordered an Acer Aspire 3 A315-23 Series laptop, but there was no option to order it with an additional 2.5" HDD besides the M.2 SSD.
I searched online and eneded up reading a few threads here mentioning there are actually a few parts (HDD cable and bracket) that I can buy, and put my HDD from my previous laptop to this one as bulk storage.

I have only one question: do I have the right to open up the device and place these into the laptop without voiding the warranty?

The emphasis is on the "without voiding the warranty". Are these kind of modifications allowed without risking that 3 year warranty?

Thanks in advance for the reply and help!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    Hi,
    I would suggest you contact Acer Support centre in your region because they can give you an appropriate answer to your query, warranty conditions differ in different countries to accommodate the local legislation, you may also have a warranty warning sticker on top of one of the screws, if you have one you need to upgrade through Acer Support centre.
    Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region

• proller14
    edited May 2021
    Thanks the reply. The laptop has just arrived, no presence of these warranty stickers, tho' I will contact the country specific Acer Support with this question.

I bet there's a great chance that the warranty only covers the changes they make in the official service procedures.
    Will update this thread based on the reply. I suspect, that the answer will be an EU specific answer in general. We will see!

• proller14
    I only managed to contact the official service via phone. The conclusion is:

It does not voids the warranty, if you open it up and/or if you upgrade the machine with a 2.5" drive or RAM.
    (Though, they also said that any kind of phisical damage you make in the process, voids the warranty. So be carefull!)

They were kind enough, to offer me a through email order if the cable and bracket is not included in the laptop, so I can get them from the manufacturer!

I live in Hungary (part of Europe), so it's possibly applicable to a wider range of countries, but not sure about this.

p14