E5-521 touchpad too hot to touch

adm
adm Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello,
I was given an Acer E5-521 to upgrade the software on it, anti virus, windows etc.  The laptop was very slow, so bought a new 8GB of Ram and installed it, taking the laptop to 12GB.
First there was a smell of burning, dislodged dust in the fan.
Then half of the keyboard would not work, resat the cable works again.
Nothing on the screen, had not plugged in the screen.
Then as I was showing the laptop booting up to the owner, I touched the touchpad and got burnt.  You could not keep you hand on the touchpad, and the surface of it was blistering.
It blistered right above where the wee chip is.

Could the ram somehow have overheated things?

I have installed the ram in another laptop and it seems to be okay.

So it must be something to do with the touchpad itself.

Has anyone heard of a touchpad failing and overheating?

Please advise, as I hope it is not something I have done.

Thank You

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Did the touchpad get that hot before you started working on it? What do you mean by "wee" chip. The GPU is located under the touchpad. It's possible the GPU thermal module fan got unplugged or is stuck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• adm
    adm Member Posts: 3 New User
    JackE said:
    Did the touchpad get that hot before you started working on it? What do you mean by "wee" chip. The GPU is located under the touchpad. It's possible the GPU thermal module fan got unplugged or is stuck. Jack E/NJ

Thank You for the reply.

I have not felt the touchpad get hot before,

The "wee" chip is on the underside of the touchpad itself, and is underneath where the hot bit and the blistering happen.

There is no GPU in this laptop, but I will look again.

I have put the ram into another laptop and have been running it, and while the touchpad has warmed slightly, there is no problems with being too hot to touch or any blistering.  I thought that maybe the ram got hot and caused something to happen.

Thank you again for your reply.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    The CPU/GPU AMD integrated chip is on the other side of the mainboard. If its a touchpad board chip itself that's getting that hot and blistering the pad, it's likely burned out. Does it still turn off with the FN+F7 toggle key combo? 

Jack E/NJ