Predator Helios 500 PH517-61 won't boot off of the battery

Options
whitebunnyflock
whitebunnyflock Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited May 2021 in Predator Laptops
this machine will boot no problem when it is plugged into the power source.  However it will not boot when I am on battery only.  I have tried the battery reset pin and also rolled back my Windows 10 20H2 cumulative updates to November 2020 (by uninstalling the most recent cumulative updates). Any ideas appreciated.  I am out of Acer warranty but I purchased it with my credit card so I still have a credit card warranty in case this ends up being hardware.  Everything else on the machine seems to be working properly.  Appreciate any advice.

It gets past the Predator screen and then freezes with the windows dots still on screen.  The NVME light is blinking but it never boots into Windows.

Best Answer

• whitebunnyflock
    Answer ✓
    Options
    on May 26 I updated to KB5003254 and that seems to have solved the problem.  Very weird issue but I have not experienced it again in the two weeks since. On May 26 I also received the security update called KB5003173.

Answers

• whitebunnyflock
    Options
    i recently did a clean install of Windows 10 20H2 as well and all my drivers are working and up to date.
  • whitebunnyflock
    Options
    i must have somehow clicked the above as the accepted answer.  It is not. It has been a few days now but i used the AMD minimal installer to install the Ryzen balanced power profile and so far it has been working based on that.
  • whitebunnyflock
    Options
    bump - this is still an issue for me
  • whitebunnyflock
    edited May 2021
    Options
    what does it mean if my laptop is not listed as tested for the windows creator update, is this not 20H2? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/windows10-october-2020-update

my model is the ph517-61

Does this mean i should try to get back to 1909 by any means necessary?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi whitebunnyflock,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/

• whitebunnyflock
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thanks Easwar, I should mention it does sometimes boot off the battery. I did not mention that above. I will try contacting tech support.

i should also mention that I no longer have Acer warranty so I guess the support is out.
  • whitebunnyflock
    Answer ✓
    Options
    on May 26 I updated to KB5003254 and that seems to have solved the problem.  Very weird issue but I have not experienced it again in the two weeks since. On May 26 I also received the security update called KB5003173.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi whitebunnyflock,

Good to know thanks for your information. ​