NVME drives on Acer Aspire A315-41-R5Z6

JnZann
JnZann Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Is it possible to use (not upgrades) NVME in this laptop? This laptop has same key as NVME one but the controller is just sata (i guess).. but it works or not? i dont care if it locked up at sata speeds.. aslong it works then it fine.. 1 reason i want to use NVMe one cuz in here Sata M.2 is expensive and also hard to search (Rly 860 Evo 1tb is much more expensive than 980 1 tb in here.. also i cant find decent sata m.2 ssd in here) 

Best Answer

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,443 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    JnZann said:
    Is it possible to use (not upgrades) NVME in this laptop? This laptop has same key as NVME one but the controller is just sata (i guess).. but it works or not? i dont care if it locked up at sata speeds.. aslong it works then it fine.. 1 reason i want to use NVMe one cuz in here Sata M.2 is expensive and also hard to search (Rly 860 Evo 1tb is much more expensive than 980 1 tb in here.. also i cant find decent sata m.2 ssd in here) 

This is the type of M.2 that your Aspire A315-41 takes OEM, its a SATA3 / 6GB/sec type M.2 and has the B&M end key type connection, NVMe drives have the M end key type connections and won't fit or work. The example caption below is a 128GB Kingston type M.2 that is fitted OEM into your Aspire A315-41 and its a "Kingston RBU-SNS8180S3/128GJ - 128GB M.2 2280 SATA III NGFF Solid State SSD" type drive. You can have a bigger capacity e.g. 4TB than what Windows limits to 2TB as long as its formatted in "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" format and not an MBR/Legacy format.

• JnZann

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    JnZann said:

This is the type of M.2 that your Aspire A315-41 takes OEM, its a SATA3 / 6GB/sec type M.2 and has the B&M end key type connection, NVMe drives have the M end key type connections and won't fit or work. The example caption below is a 128GB Kingston type M.2 that is fitted OEM into your Aspire A315-41 and its a "Kingston RBU-SNS8180S3/128GJ - 128GB M.2 2280 SATA III NGFF Solid State SSD" type drive. You can have a bigger capacity e.g. 4TB than what Windows limits to 2TB as long as its formatted in "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" format and not an MBR/Legacy format.

Yeah i know bout this.. but this thing has M key only slot ( i check it by myself). And Sata has B+M or B only and NVMe has M key only.. This is confusing.. I ask my friend and he says this thing has M key only (Which means NVMe Support) but also he says it has Sata controller (Which means sata only).. Also i cant find NVMe option ..some forum they said only sata but someone claimed managed to make NVMe work with this.. 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi @JnZann,
    @StevenGen suggestion is correct, the slot in the laptop is universal, when you install a M.2 SATA SSD, the corresponding pins in the slot to the second grove in the SSD will stay dormant.
    Does Aspire 3 A315-41 can use NVMe SSD at M.2 slot ? — Acer Community

• JnZann

Tinkerer

Hi @JnZann,
    @StevenGen suggestion is correct, the slot in the laptop is universal, when you install a M.2 SATA SSD, the corresponding pins in the slot to the second grove in the SSD will stay dormant.

But can u see this (my pic) M Key only? Also this laptop has same motherboard as Acer Nitro AN515-42 which is support NVMe.. Man.. I upgrade my laptop by myself and i know that is M key ..I am just asking if NVMe will work or nah.. Thats why i mention M key in the first post and i confused af why some people using sata only instead of NVMe.. Also why Acer put Sata drives when the connection is M key? 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    JnZann said:
    Hi @JnZann,

But can u see this (my pic) M Key only? Also this laptop has same motherboard as Acer Nitro AN515-42 which is support NVMe.. Man.. I upgrade my laptop by myself and i know that is M key ..I am just asking if NVMe will work or nah.. Thats why i mention M key in the first post and i confused af why some people using sata only instead of NVMe.. Also why Acer put Sata drives when the connection is M key? 
    Hi,
    Your motherboard doesn't support a M.2 NVMe SSD, please read this link for more explanation about the M.2 SSD slot and compatibility of SSDs: How to Check PCIe M.2 NVMe SSDs Compatibility with your PC or Motherboard - Appuals.com