swift and the keyboard is typing the wrong letters

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,528 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: Keyboard types wrong letters, numbers, symbols, etc....

Answers

• Melita123
    Melita123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    a I have an acer swift and the keyboard is typing the wrong letters eg o types 6, p types *, m types 0. I've tried to fix by pressing Fn and numlk but this doesn't work. Please can you help?
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,949 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Melita123 do you have any external keyboard like desktop keyboard or wireless keyboard? Maybe you can use it to check if the problem is from the laptop keyboard or software.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,453 Trailblazer
    Options
    Melita123 said:
    a I have an acer swift and the keyboard is typing the wrong letters eg o types 6, p types *, m types 0. I've tried to fix by pressing Fn and numlk but this doesn't work. Please can you help?
    With the spillage of liquid into the keyboard the solution is that the keyboard has shorted its key circuitry and needs replacing, as whenever any liquid is spilled (if the laptop is powered on while the liquid was spilled?) as and when this happens, the laptop has to be powered off immediately and allowed to dry out completely, otherwise a short will happen and the keyboard will malfunction. With the keyboard that has "wrong letters eg o types 6, p types *, m types 0" uninstall the keyboard driver and reboot your laptop, if that doesn't work then replace the keyboard also, as that could be a fault of the keyboard as there are no other solutions.
  • ETx13
    ETx13 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Melita123 said:

I'm not sure if it's the same swift as we just got but you just need to hit the F12 key (which is the numlk) without using the Fn key.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,420 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Melita123 you have the NumLk turned on. The key is likely something like Fn-F12 to toggle it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.