Ram Installation Question Aspire 5 A515-43

jerseyjoe
jerseyjoe Member Posts: 1 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
I recently purchased and installed a Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM 1.2V CL 19 RAM stick into my Acer Aspire 5 A515-43 second ram slot. However, after booting up my computer the ram hasnt changed at all and its still 4 GB like before. My question is did I purchase the wrong RAM Stick (Used crucial program to find this compatible ram stick), did I mess up physically placing the ram stick into the computer or is it something else?
Thanks,
Jerseyjoe
(Also Im new to computers and probably should have done some more research before jumping into the water spare me please lol)

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    jerseyjoe said:
    Hello,
    I recently purchased and installed a Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM 1.2V CL 19 RAM stick into my Acer Aspire 5 A515-43 second ram slot. However, after booting up my computer the ram hasnt changed at all and its still 4 GB like before. My question is did I purchase the wrong RAM Stick (Used crucial program to find this compatible ram stick), did I mess up physically placing the ram stick into the computer or is it something else?
    Thanks,
    Jerseyjoe
    (Also Im new to computers and probably should have done some more research before jumping into the water spare me please lol)
    jerseyjoe you bought the wrong ram, the DDR4-2666MHz is not suitable for your Aspire 5 A515-43, its amazing how Crucial and many other memory manufacturers list the wrong memory for certain models. Acer's memory recommendation for the Aspire 5 A515-43 is specified as "DDR4-2400MHz ONLY type ram" that this laptop works best with, also, your A515-43 can take a max of 32GB (2x 16GB DDR4-2400MHz 1.2V, SO-DIMM 260 pin) into its 2x ram slots, remember you cant mix different capacity ram sizes in its 2x slots e.g. as you have done; 1x 4GB in one slot and 1x 16GB into the other slot, both slots have to have equal ram sizes, as otherwise it will not work! 

DIMM Modules Installation
    1. Connect the memory module to the mainboard connector.
    2. Push down the memory module until the clips lock in place.
    3. Repeat steps 1~2 to install another DIMM module.

Aspire 5 A515-43 with under case removed the 2x ram slots are at right upper corner