Faulty hardware or software issue? - Aspire 5 A515-56

girlingreen
girlingreen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello!

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 A515-56. It has i5 processors and the Iris Xe gpu. Since I've owned it it does this weird thing where the display randomly starts glitching, the laptop freezes completely (can't even access task manager) and in a matter of seconds it restarts itself. This happens every other day, sometimes several times in one day. It's completely random - sometimes it happens while I play games (only playing RS right now - no high impact games), sometimes it happens while I'm just browsing the internet. Sometimes it doesn't even happen while I spend the whole day playing games, it's really just random. Once it happened while I just had youtube open with the video on pause. I tried reinstalling Windows from the cloud and for about 3 weeks the issue didn't occur, but after the windows update a couple of days ago it started happening again. It happens both with Intel display drivers and with OEM drivers. After the update I switched from OEM drivers to Intels and it didn't help at all. I stress tested both the GPU and the CPU and even tested RAM. Didn't receive any errors an the glitch didn't happen during the tests. I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong - any ideas? If it's drivers can I somehow force windows to stop installing the wrong drivers? Or is it definitely hardware? I would've already sent it to service but all my college lectures are online right now and I'm writing my diploma sooooo not the best time to be without a computer for several weeks 😅 But if it's hardware issues I'll have to take it. Anyway, here's a pic for reference (sometimes it's way glitchier than this but this is the only time i managed to take a pic)
//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• girlingreen
    girlingreen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Oh and the laptop also starts buzzing weirdly when this happens. 
  • tuxaar
    tuxaar Member Posts: 4 New User
    hey i am having the same problem, can you tell me how you solved it?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi tuxaar,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• tuxaar
    tuxaar Member Posts: 4 New User
    Easwar said:
    Hi tuxaar,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

Its same Acer Aspire A515-56
  • Have you checked the bios version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MarciG
    MarciG Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    actually i have other issue with the same model, wrote it here:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/647415/why-acer-aspire-a515-56-suddenly-during-working-behave-weird#latest
    To quote:
    "The issue that happens from time to timeis:  suddenly while writing - black screen, loud fan noise (in battery like SHHHH ----- SHHHHHH ------ SHHHHH ....; on the cable power cord SHHHHHHHHHHHH without pause, keyboard backlit, no response even on clicking shortly on 'turn off button', need to hold this key for longer time to make it turn off. I must add that all the lights from "PC turned on" is working when it hanged. It's like the screen got black and no responding while the pc is still turned on."

I wonder if my issue isn't kind of a version of your issue, but mine is like it suddenly freeze, black screen,  loud fan noise and not responding.

Somehow scared to update bios, heard it's risky and the pc might be broken...
  • CIeetZ
    CIeetZ Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hello!

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5 A515-56. It has i5 processors and the Iris Xe gpu. Since I've owned it it does this weird thing where the display randomly starts glitching, the laptop freezes completely (can't even access task manager) and in a matter of seconds it restarts itself. This happens every other day, sometimes several times in one day. It's completely random - sometimes it happens while I play games (only playing RS right now - no high impact games), sometimes it happens while I'm just browsing the internet. Sometimes it doesn't even happen while I spend the whole day playing games, it's really just random. Once it happened while I just had youtube open with the video on pause. I tried reinstalling Windows from the cloud and for about 3 weeks the issue didn't occur, but after the windows update a couple of days ago it started happening again. It happens both with Intel display drivers and with OEM drivers. After the update I switched from OEM drivers to Intels and it didn't help at all. I stress tested both the GPU and the CPU and even tested RAM. Didn't receive any errors an the glitch didn't happen during the tests. I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong - any ideas? If it's drivers can I somehow force windows to stop installing the wrong drivers? Or is it definitely hardware? I would've already sent it to service but all my college lectures are online right now and I'm writing my diploma sooooo not the best time to be without a computer for several weeks 😅 But if it's hardware issues I'll have to take it. Anyway, here's a pic for reference (sometimes it's way glitchier than this but this is the only time i managed to take a pic)
    //Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Wow. Im having the same issue with mine and I spent all the money I have on it. Nice Acer. You feel proud selling the world defective products? Great its not even under warranty anymore now im stuck with a paper weight.
  • CIeetZ
    Of course they dont even reply because they know what they did. Scammers
  • CIeetZ
    MarciG said:
    actually i have other issue with the same model, wrote it here:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/647415/why-acer-aspire-a515-56-suddenly-during-working-behave-weird#latest
    To quote:
    "The issue that happens from time to timeis:  suddenly while writing - black screen, loud fan noise (in battery like SHHHH ----- SHHHHHH ------ SHHHHH ....; on the cable power cord SHHHHHHHHHHHH without pause, keyboard backlit, no response even on clicking shortly on 'turn off button', need to hold this key for longer time to make it turn off. I must add that all the lights from "PC turned on" is working when it hanged. It's like the screen got black and no responding while the pc is still turned on."

I wonder if my issue isn't kind of a version of your issue, but mine is like it suddenly freeze, black screen,  loud fan noise and not responding.

Somehow scared to update bios, heard it's risky and the pc might be broken...

how could updating the bios be risky if your computers already f***'ed. whats there to lose