USB ports - plugged in DVD drive with incorrect power adapter Aspire 3 A315-51

AdrianC
AdrianC Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
On my Aspire 3 laptop.
The 2 USB ports on r/h side no longer working. Getting power surge error message. Also used a utility that displays that the two ports have had an over-current. I've tried uninstalling drivers, changed suspend settings and played around with power plans. Also restored Windows 10 to previous condition. The single USB port on the L/H side is functioning fine. Wondering whether I have exhausted all software based solutions and its a hardware repair, if so what is the cost in UK likely to be? Thanks in advance of your help and advice.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    You lucked out. Congratulations. The two USB2 ports are replaceable. If you're adventuresome, you can google the part no below for vendor who ship to your location and replace them yourself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Depends on your full A3 model number. For example, A315-32 has a separate USB board that can be replaced. The 2 ports on other A3 models are soldered to the mainboard and thus unreplaceable. The price for a separate USB board is about £10-20. The price for a mainboard is about ten times more. So the price depends on which A3 model you have. There are dozens of different A3s. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AdrianC

Tinkerer

thanks. Mine is a A315-51 so sounds like unreplaceable ports? 
  • JackE
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    You lucked out. Congratulations. The two USB2 ports are replaceable. If you're adventuresome, you can google the part no below for vendor who ship to your location and replace them yourself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AdrianC

Tinkerer

thats brilliant! THANK YOU!
  • AdrianC

Tinkerer

Sorry one more question. To fit does it just plug in or is soldering etc required?
  • JackE
    No soldering. You just peel off tape that holds the cable to the USB board, remove one screw and pull the board out, Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AdrianC

Tinkerer

Thank you for your excellent advice and help. 
  • JackE
    Good luck with the repair.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.