Upgrade Predator P09-600 i7-7800k to i9-9900kf

kateeba
kateeba Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
Hi,

I recently bought a i9-9900kf because I was exprencing problems with the i7-7800k.
However when i boot up from it the PC starts up for a few seconds and then immideatly shuts down again.
Is there any possible solution to this other than buying a new Motherboard?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    That is correct, you can't put a 9th gen processor into the 7th gen chipset motherboard. To use the new processor you are going to need a new motherboard and very likely new ram as well, since ram speed is likely different between the chipsets as well. Are you sure yours came with the i7-7800K? I though the PO9-600 models all had 8th gen Coffee Lake processors and chipsets...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kateeba
    Thank you for your message. That helped me. The processor is the eighth generation. I have misspellt.
  • billsey
    What problems were you having with the original processor (I'm guessing an i7-8700)? There have been a bunch of different Predator PO9-600 models, but I believe they all use the Z370 chipset, and that chipset doesn't support the Coffee Lake Refresh (9th gen) processors.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kateeba
    My problem is that the computer crashes every few hours under load. He makes a restart himself. I think it's the processor. However, I am not sure.

• billsey
    Have you tried installing an app to monitor the CPU temperature? Under load you should see the CPU and GPU approaching 85-90C, over 95C indicates you might be getting into the thermal shutdown state that happens at 100C.
  • kateeba
    Thank you for your message. I have already done that. A stress test. The temperature is mostly around 80 degrees. Ride to 90 degrees under load. After a certain time, the computer crashes and restarts itself
  • kateeba
    Thank you for your message. I have already done that. A stress test. The temperature is mostly around 80 degrees. Ride to 90 degrees under load. After a certain time, the computer crashes and restarts itself
  • billsey
    So those numbers look fine then, you are likely not crashing due to a thermal event. When you see the crashes (with the i7-8700 installed) do you get BSOD dumps? If not does anything show up in the Event Log for that time? My guess is you have an app or driver stepping on everyone's toes...
  • kateeba
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that and then let you know.
  • billsey
    Try an grab a picture of the BSOD if it rears it's head again while using the i7-8700... There are often extra details shown that help with diagnosis.