Can My Acer Aspire 5 A515 -51 Work Without The Battery?

ruseneca
ruseneca Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I experience a problem with the battery. It stops charging and the problem can be resolved only when I turn off the laptop and completely recharge the battery. However, the problem still occur after working 1-2 hours. I've tried everything from changing battery plans to resetting the battery, nothing. Battery is not worned out, battery "Wear level" is 16%. I've replaced the charger and still nothing.
This problem occured after updating Windows 10 or updating the BIOS version. However, no drivers work and resolve the issue.

So my question is whether this laptop can work without the battery? I know it's hard to resolve the issue by removing it but still it is something. This battery problem is very common, I checked and many people are complaining.

Answers

• what is the exact model? example a515-51-58vh. Try uninstalling the battery and ac adapter drivers in the device manager and then restart windows.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ruseneca

Tinkerer

The model is A515-51G-82WK
    Uninstalling drivers, updating drivers,restoring drivers...nothing seem to work. When unplugging the charger and pluginning it in, it starts charging for 5 seconds and then the power relies on battery again.

If possible, I can rely on the charger only, without the battery. Else, I can use the laptop for 2 hours/day maximum.
  • OK! Try resetting the battery:
    Also make sure your model has this button:
    Problema na bateria Nitro 5 AN515-51-52BF  Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ruseneca,

Try to reset the battery as egydiocoelho suggested. If the issue not resolved then it's battery fault. 
  • ruseneca

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    Easwar said:
    Hi ruseneca,

Try to reset the battery as egydiocoelho suggested. If the issue not resolved then it's battery fault. 

I tried to reset it. I left the laptop for 15-20 minutes and then plugged in the adaptor and I waited until it's fully charged. For now, the problem is resolved but after several hours or several days, the problem reappears. I've limited the processor to 80%, decreased the setting in the power battery plan from 90%, I will check the performance with these settings.
  • check this bios version:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ruseneca

Tinkerer

Just a quick update. I opened the laptop and I cleaned the dust from the fan and connections and it looks like the problem has been temporarily resolved. However, the battery plan with boosted settings and everything on 100% still stops charging the battery.
    So, the settings used are:
    Minimum processor state on both: 50%
    System cooling: Passive
    Maximum processor state: On battery:70% Plugged in:90%

And that's it.
  • I still advise you to check the battery for wear.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Hi ruseneca,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • ruseneca

Tinkerer

I still advise you to check the battery for wear.
    It's below 20%!

Easwar said:
    # Try to update the battery driver
    I've tried that as well but it seems it is not from the drivers.
  • Have you tried to calibrate the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ruseneca

Tinkerer

edited May 2021
    Have you tried to calibrate the battery?
    Yes, this was the only way I could keep the laptop running for some 48 hours without the shining yellow and blue indicators and using the battery without charging.
    When the battery falls under 7%, I just shut down the latop but from the button, then reset the battery, power on the laptop and wait for full charge. After starting it, it worked without problems for 48 hours then the same problem...
    However, after opening and cleaning it, this issue was resolved but as I sad, only with the battery plan settings above. I don't play games on it right now so for internet surfing and work it is fine.
    I haven't tried to use it without the battery, though. I am not sure what can happen if I remove the battery and try using it on AC only.
  • This laptop works without a battery. However, I don't advise disconnecting it, because if there is a power outage, you could corrupt windows and lose files.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Hi ruseneca,

You can change the battery.