How to optimize my Ubuntu installation for speed - Predator Helios 300 (PH317-54-70YD)

Mikenet
Mikenet Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Predator Laptops
To give some basic specs, I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-54-70YD) which has an NVIDIA RTX 2060 graphics card, 16 gigs of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 processor.

It's not a super computer by any stretch but has enough power to play most modern games on high settings.   Lets just say that for me, it's a pretty good computer  :p

I'm going to be pushing it a great deal though so I wanted to optimize my Ubuntu installation for speed.  Mainly, I'm wanting to boost the performence of Ubuntu for general OS task like copying large files and viewing large amounts of data quickly. 

My number one concern right now is with the speed and dependability of NTFS on Linux.  I have a Windows 10 installation that I want to keep.  In the past I have done all of my work from Windows and still plan to use Windows when i need to so for now most of the data I'll be using regularly needs to be accessed from both Ubuntu and Windows.  I have several Terabytes of data on a couple of USB 3.0 HDDs that are formatted in NTFS.  I understand that NTFS isn't the preferred format for Linux but I want to make it faster if possible until I have enough money to buy another hard drive that I can format in ext4.

I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu or Linux yet but I think I either need to learn how to optimize something like
NTFS-3G to achieve better read and write speeds or just go with an alternative like Paragon.....

https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/ntfs-linux-professional/#

This looks very appealing to me, it's said to handle NTFS partitions a lot faster than NTFS-3G but I'd need to know if this is legit before using it.  If anyone has experience with Paragon for NTFS give me the heads up.  I'd be willing to use this if it's as good as they're saying it is.

Secondly, I was really wondering a lot about my NVIDIA RTX 2060 as well.  Mainly I'm wanting to know if my graphics card can be used to take some of the work load off of my CPU for general OS task.  In other words, is there as setting in NVIDIA that I can use to make my video card help the CPU do things like copy files?  I'd like to know more about what task my video card can help me with because I get the impression that the video card is only utilized when doing something like playing a game or rendering a video although i could be wrong.

Other than that, any other tips are welcome if there's something else that can help speed up and optimize Ubuntu.

My Ubuntu version is 20.04

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• akshatt810
    akshatt810 Member Posts: 1 New User

@Mikenet I stand where you were back than and facing the similar issue. Were you able to find any optimal solution for it?

• gojosan33
    gojosan33 Member Posts: 1 New User

@Mikenet I'm standing where you were before and am dealing with a similar situation. Did you manage to come up with the best solution possible?