Hello, I have the same issue on Acer Aspire A515-56-57XR with ALC 255.

System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: Acer Aspire 5 microphone is not working for external headset on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS.

Answers

• bijay135
    bijay135 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2021
    Hello, I have the same issue on Acer Aspire A515-56-57XR with ALC 255.

On windows everything is working fine but on ubuntu the earphone/headset output works but microphone is not working at all. I am on ubuntu 20.4.2 LTS as welll. Also, maybe it's the same for you as well mine headphones are always plugged in.

I have tried every combination of fix in alsa-base.conf as well, wasted almost full day on this nothing works so far, haven't tried updating kernel yet but I guess it's won't work either.

I have found a similar issue on launchpad, I will post the link below.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1918142

Let's keep this thread as reference for this particular audio chipset and external mic issue. I will keep following this thread for any fixes or updates.
    For now at least the internal microphone works so will be using it till there is a fix for this.
  • ashishbabar
    ashishbabar Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

So I have found a workaround for this issue.

From a suggestion I installed ubuntu unrestricted features and did complete shutdown and start.
    sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    sudo apt remove ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Now I have added these two lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and when I shut down and start the popup to select headphone and headset is working. but the internal mic(Digital microphone is not available in input devices for some reason)
    options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0
    options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer
    I  am not sure if ubuntu-restricted-extra made any changes or not. Either ubuntu-restricted-extra package made some dependecies available or the reboot doesnt work, shutdowns works.

My understanding is the alc255-acer codes is somehow overriding and replacing code loading of internal mic for laptop.
    Next thing to check will be what codecs are loaded and add that to options to alsa-base.conf.
    options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer,(laptop internal mic codec)
    I have tried addding dell headset multi codec but for acer laptop I think its not picking up.
    Need to look out for command to list down what codec is loaded like alc255-acer.
  • ashishbabar
    ashishbabar Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

From a suggestion I installed ubuntu unrestricted features and did complete shutdown and start.
    Now I have added these two lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and when I shut down and start the popup to select headphone and headset is working. but the internal mic(Digital microphone is not working for some reason)
    I  am not sure if ubuntu-restricted-extra made any changes or not. Either ubuntu-restricted-extra package made some dependecies available or the reboot doesnt work, shutdowns works.
    My understanding is the alc255-acer codes is somehow overriding and replacing code loading of internal mic for laptop.Next thing to check will be what codecs are loaded and add that to options to alsa-base.conf.
    I have tried addding dell headset multi codec but for acer laptop I think its not picking up.
    Need to look out for command to list down what codec is loaded like alc255-acer.
  • bijay135
    edited May 2021
    Now I have added these two lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and when I shut down and start the popup to select headphone and headset is working. but the internal mic(Digital microphone is not working for some reason)
    I  am not sure if ubuntu-restricted-extra made any changes or not. Either ubuntu-restricted-extra package made some dependecies available or the reboot doesnt work, shutdowns works.
    My understanding is the alc255-acer codes is somehow overriding and replacing code loading of internal mic for laptop.Next thing to check will be what codecs are loaded and add that to options to alsa-base.conf.
    So, is your headphone/earphone external microphone working now? I don't ever use internal laptop microphone since it picks up too much so only external microphone working will be fine for me for now. Currently, since external isn't working I have no choice to rely on internal microphone.
  • bijay135
    Thank you so much for this. Adding this two lines fixed my external microphone finally. Did not need to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    Internal microphone completely stopped working and showing at all with this, not an issue for me as I always use external microphone.

It also seems to have fixed my headphone/external microphone always being plugged in issue, now it auto switches to headphones when plug it in and speakers are disabled and when I unplug headset it switches back to speakers also their volume are separate now before they shared volume.

First problem with this fix seems to be it only works when starting up from shutdown, restart causes microphone to stop working again and secondly audio selection pop up shows every time, it uses headset anyhow so no point in this selection. If I can fix these two it will be enough for me till official fix comes for this issue. I will update if I manage to make it work on restart and hide the audio selection dialog.
  • bijay135
    I managed to fix both of the problems.  =)

For the first one about not working on restart maybe battery power saving was causing microphone to start working with a bit delay and I thought it was not working, It's seems to be working fine with restarts checked multiple times.

For second issue of annoying audio selection pop up every time I plug in headphone, this gnome extension hides it effectively.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1482/remove-audio-device-selection-dialog/

So, this fix is enough for me for now, internal microphone won't work at all but not an issue for me could be issue for someone who uses it. Patiently waiting for a official kernel fix now which solves this once and for all.