Acer Aspire 5 A515-56 Gets Super Hot and Shuts Down Due to Battery Problem

dpj00172
dpj00172 Member Posts: 2 New User
I have a new Aspire 5 laptop and the unit got really hot and shut itself off. Tech support had me reset the batter by sticking a paper clip in the little hole on the back. Once I did that the laptop cooled off and it came back to life. The support engineer said it is a quirk between the battery and the operating system and to send it back if this happens again. What is going on with this? Is this happening to anyone else.  Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• MarciG
    MarciG Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I have the same model and actually during watching youtube, updating or making a video call, it gets hot up to 96*C. I don't even want to imagine that someone can play a game on this PC. 
    But it didn't turn off. Anyway if you could look up at my post here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/636067/acer-aspire-a515-56-weird-issues-with-the-laptop
    Here, I mentioned other issues I had, for example out of nowhere the screen turns black and hangs, making fan work very loud and only hard restart with power button works. It's annoying though.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Sure it's happened to other folks. Me for instance. Why? Who knows? That's why support guys would likely call it a quirk or a bug or maybe even a glitch. They don't know for sure without running diagnostics. Part of the issue relates to Windows fast startup mode which is usually default. Fast startup leaves part of the operating system files loaded in RAM even after you think you've shut Windows down and power turned off.  Fast mode still drains the battery to keep a residual charge on the RAM modules to store system files so it starts up quicker without having to load these files back into RAM from the HDD or SSD. The residual charge sometimes causes communication errors between the internal battery controller and other controllers on the mainboard like for example the CPU/GPU cooling fans.  The best way to clear errant residual charges on the mainboard is to remove the charger and disconnect the battery pack for up to about 60 seconds in stubborn cases. And to help avoid this kind of recurring issue you should probably disable fast boot in ControlPanel's power button application. It usually only adds a only few seconds to the boot time with today's superfast boot drives. 

Jack E/NJ

• dpj00172
    dpj00172 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I was hoping that a firmware fix was available. Maybe Acer wasn't the greatest decision. I guess you get what you pay for.  Thanks.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Keep checking for ACER firmware updates like the rest of us. If you see one with a description that speficically addresses the issue, then try it. Otherwise don't do it because most firmware updates are risky and should only be installed on machines that are continually exhibiting the problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.