Install any linux on acer aspire 3 a315-56

Options
nikaberidze35
nikaberidze35 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi there, I want to install any Linux distro on my Acer laptop

I am able to run the installer from USB but it can't detect disks, only sees USB itself

what I tried so far:
  1. disabled fast boot
  2. created password for bios
  3. enabled f12 boot
  4. changed SATA mode from "optine without raid" to AHCI

I was able to run the installer and even install a system when switched to AHCI mode, but it still tries to load windows

is there any way to have both of them together?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No harm.  But annoying way to dual boot.  RST with or without optane cache is nearly useless these days especially with an SSD or HDD with a decent size built in cache. To change Windows to boot in AHCI mode, set Windows to boot in safe mode on the next boot. Then press F2 to enter the BIOS and change RST to AHCI. Then let it boot into safe mode. Then set it back to boot in normal mode on the next boot. You really should backup Windows before attempting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    As long as Windows still boots OK in AHCI mode you should be able to install Linux alongside. Have you disabled secure boot? Is your boot drive identified as HDD0(sda) or  HDD1(sdb) in the BIO Information tab? Linux installers usually default to HDD0(sda) so default would need to be changed if boot drive is HDD1(sdb). Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nikaberidze35
    nikaberidze35 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi JackE

thanks for your reply

after some failed attemps I was able to install Linux mint after changing SATA mode to AHCI, but windows don't load (when I switch SATA mode back it boots, but linux mint not)

I have 2 questions:
    1. does AHCI mode harm SSD lifetime?
    2. is it possible to have windows and Linux installed same time and boot them without making changes in BIOS (changing SATA mode)
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No harm.  But annoying way to dual boot.  RST with or without optane cache is nearly useless these days especially with an SSD or HDD with a decent size built in cache. To change Windows to boot in AHCI mode, set Windows to boot in safe mode on the next boot. Then press F2 to enter the BIOS and change RST to AHCI. Then let it boot into safe mode. Then set it back to boot in normal mode on the next boot. You really should backup Windows before attempting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.