What RAM is compatible with Acer Aspire A515-52-58ZW?

Jolene
Jolene Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi!
I've never bought RAM before, so I am a bit out of my league. I've been trying to check which RAM upgrades are possible for my model, but can't find the exact model. I found these two: 

Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFRA266 and KINGSTON 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Single Rank Module (KCP426NS8/16). 

Are either of these compatible? I've also checked out a couple YouTube videos about installing it. It showed the manual installation and looked quite easy, but I'm not sure if there's anything I'd need to do when I start the computer. Will it recognize it right away or will I need to reboot or open in DOS or something?
Or should I get a professional since I have never done this before myself?

Thanks for any help,

Jolene

Comments

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Hi,
    If you are going to upgrade with existing 8GB RAM, you have to find out the specs of your current 8GB module, download and install CPU-z, run it and find out the specs of your current module in Memory tab and SPD tab, if it is a 2400MHz module you have to buy 2400MHz module, on the other hand if your 8GB module is a 2666MHz module you can use Crucial RAM but not the Kingston module in your link because it's a DIMM module(suitable for Desktops), you need SODIMM module for laptops.
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    Jolene said:
    Hi!
    I've never bought RAM before, so I am a bit out of my league. I've been trying to check which RAM upgrades are possible for my model, but can't find the exact model. I found these two: 

Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFRA266 and KINGSTON 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Single Rank Module (KCP426NS8/16). 

Are either of these compatible? I've also checked out a couple YouTube videos about installing it. It showed the manual installation and looked quite easy, but I'm not sure if there's anything I'd need to do when I start the computer. Will it recognize it right away or will I need to reboot or open in DOS or something?
    Or should I get a professional since I have never done this before myself?

Thanks for any help,

Jolene
    Your A515-52 (with the Intel Whiskey Lake U - i3 or i5 or i7 processor type) takes only DDR4-2133MHz or DDR4-2400MHz 260-pin DDR4 SODIMM memory modules, these DDR4 SODIMM's are put into 2 x  slot (1x 16GB max in each slot) and the maximum memory is up to 32GB. Don't buy higher memory modules than what is recommended by Acer as the Crucial memory that you are referring to the DDR4-2666MHz is NOT recommended by Acer for your A515-52-58ZW.

Also and the way that you populate your OEM A515-52-58ZW 2x memory slots is with equal capacity memory e.g. 1x or 2x of the same memory speed/timing/capacity of either 2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB, don't mix them up with different capacity memory and/or different speed/timing type memory as its not recommended by Acer. The best is to buy a memory kit of 2x memory modules with the same speed/timing and from the same manufacturer, as these modules are paired exactly to work the best together and give you the best performance. Another way and if your on a budget, is to keep your existing OEM memory, install CPUz and look in the "Memory" and "SPD" sections to find out your existing and OEM memory speed/timing/manufacturer and try to match the same memory (btw, the additional memory doesn't have to be from the same manufacturer) as long as its the same speed/timing then it will work.