Partition Table Vs File System - Aspire 3

Options
username101
username101 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
While going through days of "trying to install Ubuntu in Aspire 3", I wanted to clear some doubts I have about the partition table and file system.
Question like:
    What partition table should I format my pendrive to if I want to install a Linux distribution like Ubuntu?
    What file system I should choose to format my pendrive to if I want to install a Linux distribution like Ubuntu?

I know the basics but I want someone to tell me.

Note: This laptop has only UEFI bios. No legacy. No EFI.

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​    

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Use Rufus freeware to prepare a USB installation pendrive from the Linux distribution's iso file. The pendrive will boot to both UEFI and Legacy BIOS when it's file system is set to FAT32. Since you have a UEFI bootstrap, you will set the pendrive install with gpt partitioning. Fairly straightforward and very easy to use software. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• username101
    username101 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack, Rufus is for Windows only.
    I use Linux distribution.

Can you recommend other tools instead?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    The most versatile is 'dd' and is the one I use for Mint. But you must use the terminal command line and be familiar/careful with using the dd options. If you want a GUI interface then choose one of the options listed here.    Unetbootin seems to be the most popular GUI among the Linux cognoscenti.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ