Please help. Aspire V3-574 Bluetooth stopped working

Options
Ladyshippers
Ladyshippers Member Posts: 3 New User
I have been using a wireless mouse very happily, via a Bluetooth receiver, for many years on my Acer Aspire, until I had to put a new battery in the mouse. Suddenly bluetooth had stopped working. I've tried everything I could find to do. I even bought a new wireless mouse and receiver but still nothing. I've turned things on and off, removed and re inserted the receiver, tried a different USB port, run troubleshooters, installed updates and new drivers. and restarted the laptop several times. I've looked for fixes online and tried them. Nothing works. 

Please can anyone help? It's driving me round the bend.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the old and new mice have USB plugin dongle receivers, then the USB ports or USB dongle receivers are the issue, not your V3's bluetooth hardware. The V3s bluetooth hardware is part of the wifi card inside your case. Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the old and new mice have USB plugin dongle receivers, then the USB ports or USB dongle receivers are the issue, not your V3's bluetooth hardware. The V3s bluetooth hardware is part of the wifi card inside your case. Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I have been using a wireless mouse very happily, via a Bluetooth receiver, for many years on my Acer Aspire, until I had to put a new battery in the mouse. Suddenly bluetooth had stopped working. I've tried everything I could find to do. I even bought a new wireless mouse and receiver but still nothing. I've turned things on and off, removed and re inserted the receiver, tried a different USB port, run troubleshooters, installed updates and new drivers. and restarted the laptop several times. I've looked for fixes online and tried them. Nothing works. 

Please can anyone help? It's driving me round the bend.
    First, which BT mouse are we talking about here, what brand and model number? Give us more details. Also, try to connect through the main BT card on your Aspire V3-574, instead of your mouse receiver, to see if the main BT is working try to connect a BT headphone or your smartphone audio and see if that connects to your main BT? Also, is the BT icon showing on the taskbar (bottom right side) if its not, then your main BT needs refreshing, press either the F3 key or the F3 + Fn keys together and see if the BT refresh's? Then reboot the laptop. If this does not work then reinstall the BT software again and do the same

As most BT mouse devices, there are two ways you can connect your mouse and its this way:
    • Use the wireless USB receiver

a) Plug the receiver into a USB port on your 

b) Connect directly via Bluetooth

• Open the Bluetooth settings on your computer to complete the pairing.

a) Search for new devices and click on MX Anywhere 3 to connect.

b) Click here for more details on how to do this on your computer.

• Ladyshippers
    Options
    Thank you for your rapid response and detailed information. 

I feel a bit of an ***** - not an infrequent feeling as I get 'brain fog at times because of very boring stuff. Anyway, after I posted I checked an external drive I had connected and realised it wasn't showing. Oh dear, could it be a USB port problem and not BT related?

Yes, it could and was. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) had been disabled. Enabled it and behold.... a pop up told me the BT receiver was being set up and shortly after, I had a working BT mouse. 

I have had a problem before with BT, so I may need to refer back to your post if it recurs. 

Thank you for your time, trouble and expertise. 

Helen
  • Ladyshippers
    Options
    JackE said:

Thank you for both a fast response and for spotting the metaphorical elephant in the room.

After I posted, I had realised my external drive wasn't showing and wondered - after a bit - if a USB port was indeed the problem. It was.  Having read your post this morning too, I checked the USB controllers and found USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) was disabled. Enabled it and mouse up and running in minutes. I feel rather silly but I'm used to that.

My brain doesn't always cooperate by functioning properly and I've been aware of feeling foggy. Not a lot better today but managed to do what was needed.

Thank you for your observations and advice.

Helen
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.