Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51-86HX) turned off, when I plugged in a USB-C-Stick and won't turn on again.

omegasorg
omegasorg Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi all,

my Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51-86HX) completely turned off after I plugged in a USB-C-Stick in the usb-c-port on the left side of the device. The screen just went blacked and everything else shut off, it is not making any noises. Since then, it won't turn on again. When I press the power button the indicator switches between blue and off, but only if power is connected. When I push the battery reset button on the back of the device the indicator turns orange, while the button is pressed.
I already tried:
- Different power supply.
- Pushing the battery reset button and then plug in the power and then press the power button.
- Press the power button for 30s, hold battery reset for 10s and then plug in the power.
- Open the device, remove the battery and try to start.
- Reinserting the battery after 30min and try to start.

So far nothing worked. Do you have any ideas what went wrong and what else I could try?
Any help is highly appreciated!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>completely turned off after I plugged in a USB-C-Stick in the usb-c-port>>>Since then, it won't turn on again>>>
    >>>I can't see anything damaged>>>

Sorry. I disagree. Several contacts on top side of the tongue seem to be either bent or had some metal scraped off (red highlighted below). I can't see what the bottom side looks like. If this machine is no longer under warranty, I suggest  that you take it to a local laptop repair shop for an evaluation & repair estimate. However, because of the symptoms you describe and the difficulty in plugging in the stick, I fear that the mainboard might have been damaged from a possible short between the contacts when the stick was inserted. Sorry I can't be more optimistic. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Did the USBC device seem a bit difficult to plug in before this happened? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• omegasorg

Tinkerer

Yeah, a little bit, it clicked louder than usual. But the usb device itself is fine, I tested it afterwards with an other Laptop just to be sure.
  • JackE
    Peer inside the port with a flashlight to check that the contact wire tongue still looks symmetrical and didn't get buggered. Though unlikely, a contact might've gotten bent away from the tongue.   Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• omegasorg

Tinkerer

I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.. These are the best shots I could get, do you see anything suspicious? Can I somehow test or repair the usb c port? Or would I need to replace the whole motherboard?
  • JackE
    In the middle of the port's mouth, there is a stiff tongue sticking out. There's a bunch of wire contacts on the top and bottom surfaces of the tongue. You're looking for wire contacts that may have lifted off the top or bottom tongue surfaces.  I see suspicious areas in the extreme left and right sides of the tongue but pretty blurry in the zoomed image below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• omegasorg

Tinkerer

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>completely turned off after I plugged in a USB-C-Stick in the usb-c-port>>>Since then, it won't turn on again>>>
    >>>I can't see anything damaged>>>

Sorry. I disagree. Several contacts on top side of the tongue seem to be either bent or had some metal scraped off (red highlighted below). I can't see what the bottom side looks like. If this machine is no longer under warranty, I suggest  that you take it to a local laptop repair shop for an evaluation & repair estimate. However, because of the symptoms you describe and the difficulty in plugging in the stick, I fear that the mainboard might have been damaged from a possible short between the contacts when the stick was inserted. Sorry I can't be more optimistic. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• omegasorg

Tinkerer

Well that's a bummer. Also seems like a mayor design flaw when a broken usb port can kill the whole motherboard.. Thank you nonetheless for your help.
  • JackE
    More of an integrated circuit vulnerability to the laws of nature or physics. The smaller and more numerous the circuits get, the more susceptible they become to failing by shorts, electrostatic discharges, vibrations, etc. When they work, the can do wonders. When they fail, they can take a whole system down. Nonetheless, you should really take it to a local repair shop for an evaluation/estimate to confirm/refute the hardware diagnosis which is hard to do with any certainty on an online forum like this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ