Laptop takes 48 hours boot up - Aspire 5542g

ronfrew
ronfrew Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello all, My old Acer Aspire 5542g laptop does everything I need, just emails watching Netfix and the Iplayer stuff like that. It still has the original specs apart from the update to Windows 10. For a long time now its had a boot problem, when I push the start button I hear a slight whirring sound but not sure if that's the hard drive or the fan. Then I have nothing but a black screen for about 48 hours before Windows suddenly starts up, I can then use the laptop. Has anyone else experienced this? Acer Support shows me that there are three BIOS updates for the 5542g so is it possibly a BIOS issue? Last week I deleted the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10 using an ISO file downloaded from a different laptop so its not a Windows problem. But I have learned that when I shut down the laptop maybe putting into hibernation mode, and then leaving it connected to the mains outlet, it usually starts up right away if that's a clue. I would really appreciate any advice on how to get this boot problem sorted. regards from Ron

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Comments

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ronfrew,

OS may be corrupted.

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • ronfrew

Tinkerer

Hi Easwar, 

Thanks for suggesting this I will try it and post the result.

Regards, Ron
  • ronfrew

Tinkerer

Hi,
     I switched of the laptop and as suggested pressed and held down the ALT+F10 keys then turned laptop on. I heard some beebs then a message flashed up very briefly, looks something like HDD VALIDATION FAILED then Windows starts up and my password login page appears. Tried it a few times but always the same result.
    Regards, Ron

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ronfrew,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page.
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result.