USB recovery fail - Aspire V5-571G.

MC21
MC21 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Dear all, 
I received this error during the boot from usb acer recovery tool. Any suggestions?

THank you very much!
MC21

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    The internal hard drive is likely corrupted and needs to be re-partitioned. What is your full ACER model number? The USB recovery drive should also have an advanced options menu to allow access to the command prompt which is a  black screen with an X ; \ >  prompt in the upper left corner. Can you access this X : \ > command prompt screen? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

Hi JackE, thanks for the help.
    The hard disk is new and installing other systems (not from the usb image recovery) works perfectly! The model is Aspire V5-571G. I tried also the 'diskpart' utility from the prompt you mentioned, but nothing different happened :(  Any ideas?

Thank you again for your support!

• JackE
    edited April 2021
    >>>installing other systems >>>

Hold on!! What other systems were or are on it now? Your ACER recovery media or diskpart utility likely won't even see the drive if another OS is installed or a Windows-recognized format or partition isn't on it. Please post a phone photo of diskpart's list disk & list volume commands. Jack E/NJ       

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

At the moment there are no system on the disk I tried to install it to check the new disk, and everything went fine. Please find here the screenshot (28GB is the usb recovery disk). Thanks!

• JackE
    It must be converted to GPT partitioning. Right now it's MBR partitioned. You can do this from the diskpart > prompt. Are you familiar with doing this from the diskpart prompt or do you need help? Here's a decent diskpart command line guide. Your BIOS must also be changed to UEFI mode if it's still in the legacy BIOS overlay mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

Hello, done but without success, same error..
    Thanks best regards

• JackE
    Please post diskpart phone photo again if possible of the results of these commands. Disk0 probably needs to  be  made active, cleaned, re-formatted.

list disk
    list volutme

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

I did the process again, this is the output.

It is a pity to buy the usb recovery disk and it doesn't work, the error is not saying nothing significant and there is no domentation on how to use this recovery software.

Thank you again!
    MC21
  • JackE
    No documentation really needed. The problem is your HDD or SSD has an old Windows installation with no system reserved or efi partition. And either an unrecognized 100GB file system partition or unallocated space. Quite franklhy, It seems like a mess and needs to be cleaned. How do you suppose it got this way?  

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

The HDD was cleaned before the screenshot, and it is a new hard disk, there is nothing on. I choose to let 100GB for other purpose just now, creating the the new active partition. I can clean again the hdd and start from scratch, could you please kindly help me with the correct steps? Many thanks again! MC21
  • JackE
    >>>The HDD was cleaned before the screenshot, and it is a new hard disk, there is nothing on. >>>

If the HDD was cleaned before the photo was taken, then how come the photo shows the HDD is not clean? Please explain before we proceed any further. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

Ok, recap of what I did:

1) diskpart clean
    2) convert gpt
    2) create partition size=400.000
    3) format ntfs 
    4) active

If I launch the utility with the empty disk (so after step 1) the result is the same.

Thank you!

• JackE
    >>>
    1) diskpart clean (it's simply 'clean' after select Disk 0"
    2) convert gpt
    >>>

OK. Stop at step 2. What you should see after is the following. Essentially back to the ground zero new disk but with the GPT asterisk *. Then try to see if the ACER recovery USB will do all the rest to get Windows re-installed including the NTFS C : \ partition and its FAT32 BIOS EFI partition . Once installed, you should be able shrink the Windows partition and make whatever partitions you want from the unallocated space created.

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

Hello, done as you porposed.

Same error as in my original post :(

MC21

• JackE
    (1) What was the original factory Windows version on this machine? Win7, Win8x or Win10?

(2) Did you order the ACER recovery drive with the machine's serial number id (SNID) or some other way?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

Win 8 and I ordered it from the acer store with the correct SNID. Thank you
  • JackE
    If you tried all the USB ports with the same result, go to this link and create your own Win8x USB boot drive to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MC21

Tinkerer

Hi, with the Microsoft image everything works, so it is a problem with the usb recovery tool, I'll contac the customer care.
    Thank you, regards

• JackE
    Yep. I'd ask for my money back since you can use the Microsoft generic versions and essentially download any ACER-specific  drivers you need  Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ