My Aspire 3 A315-42G BIOS doesn't show advanced settings of chipset configurations?

namemeansnotthingbro
namemeansnotthingbro Member Posts: 1 New User
System BIOS Version : v1.05
Setup Utility : InysydeH20 
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
Ram : 8 gb installed 5,94 GB usable

I have the cpu above and i've got a dedicate gpu Radeon 540x with 2gb memory already. But my integrated cpu uses shared 2 gb of the memory. So i need to reduce or disable that much use of ram then i tried to fix it by bios settings. But my bios doesn't show Chipset Configurations? Is there any way to do this?

Any help appreciated.
Sincerely.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>>But my integrated cpu uses shared 2 gb of the memory. >>>

No, the 64-bit Windows operating system uses about 2.1GB RAM all by itself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rreddy78
    rreddy78 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I think 2.1GB is indeed reserved by the GPU. And currently I dont see any way to change that until Acer makes a BIOS update.

I have installed Linux on my A315-42 and I can see this:

rreddy78@Aspire-A315-42:~$ free -h
                 total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          5.8Gi       2.7Gi       1.1Gi        44Mi       2.0Gi       2.8Gi
    Swap:         4.9Gi       374Mi       4.5Gi

The total memory available to Linux is just 5.8G. Win10 is no different..

• JackE
    Sorry no. Here's a 4GB Linux machine. 2GB RAM is not shared as VRAM.

Jack E/NJ

• Teksal
    Teksal Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited May 2021
    I have the same model laptop. It has 2 GPUs; integrated Vega8 and external Radeon 540x. The integrated GPU drives the screen and basic desktop, it's not possible to disable it, and it hard allocates 2GB of main memory at startup. The mainboard has an empty memory slot, I added a second 8GB ram after a month of purchase, now I have about 14GB ram available to Windows. The external 540x has about 2GB memory of its own i.e. GDDR5 SDRAM.
    Also you should upgrade your BIOS, it's very old. Latest 1.11
  • JackE
    Thanks for your report. Yes, the 42G model has the discrete GPU. But the 42 model, that some users compared it to, does not.

Jack E/NJ

• rreddy78
    rreddy78 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited May 2021

So now I understand it better. It looks like in  the AMD system the OS and the GPU uses the 2.1GB of RAM together leaving 5.9G entirely for applications. This is something I understood after looking at the memory usage in Linux and Windows together.
    In Intel systems GPU reserves some memory and rest of memory is shared between OS and applications.
    Maybe that's why AMD does not provide a option to change the GPU reserved RAM