Aspire Z24-890 Camera Has Never Worked

jjones2424
jjones2424 Member Posts: 2 New User
I bought my mom this All-In-One in May 2019. She's elderly and doesn't do much on it other than email and the internet.  When COVID hit and we couldn't visit her, we started to teach her how to chat with us on Zoom. However we could never get her camera to work. I figured it was user error but I logged in to her computer remotely to take a look. This was in May 2020, a year after purchase.  When looking at her Camera settings, I would receive this error: 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached>
I looked in Device Manager, the camera is not present. I scanned for hardware changes, and then camera did not appear.

It's now April 2021 and I'm in person visiting her trying to troubleshoot this again and would love any help.
I even reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday - a refresh, not a reset.
I tried looking for the Camera's driver on the Acer Support Website and it doesn't exist.  That is intriguing to me.
I really don't think this computer shipped with a working camera when I bought it. Unfortunately, Acer cannot help me as it's out of warranty, although they stated I could ship the PC in for repair for a fee.  I even had purchased a Protection Plan for the computer through a third party, and they too want you to ship the computer in. That's not really an option nor is it very convenient.
The PC says on the bezel of the display "FHD Webcam".  But I've tried everything to get it to work, looking in the settings, etc.  Do I just go buy a USB Camera?  I wish Acer would just give me a new computer for the hassle I've had to endure!

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Is there anything under unknown devices, and as a very long shot, if you boot into safe mode does it show?
  • jjones2424
    jjones2424 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I did boot the workstation into Safe Mode and unfortunately it did not show anything new in Device Manager. I even clicked open every device! Thank you for your comment though!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    My guess is the cable that runs between the camera and the motherboard is either bad or disconnected at one end. The only software thing I can think of that might be wrong would be the underlying chipset drivers, which create the internal USB hus the camera is attached to. Does the microphone show up and work? That's also on the camera board.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi jjones2424,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

Or

Book the unit for repair service,