CPU upgrade - Predator Orion 3000 PO3-620

Options
Erbil
Erbil Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hello guys,

few months ago I bought an ACER Predator Orion 3000 PO3-620 with Intel i7 10700F processor. Do you believe it is possible to upgrade the cpu to a rocket lake cpu? Does the motherboard support that? 

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021
    Options
    It would depend on the chipset and microcode on the board, the sockets the same so it's a maybe, but Im leaning towards it wouldnt

For the chipset of you run this it should give you the chipset identifier which can be matched with the chipset: 
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28539

The microcode is the bad bit, it looks like the bios haven't been updated since last year, so I have a feeling it wont detect new CPU's
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Likely not, you can bump to the i9-10900F and the i9-10900 which are both faster than yours, have more cores and threads and use the same amount of power. Moving up to one of the K models would require different cooling due to the increased power demand.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PrskMate
    PrskMate Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    billsey said:
    Likely not, you can bump to the i9-10900F and the i9-10900 which are both faster than yours, have more cores and threads and use the same amount of power. Moving up to one of the K models would require different cooling due to the increased power demand.
    Do you know somebody who tried upgrading it? Because I would like to, but I would also like to see if it works without issues. I checked it, and the i9-10900f has 65W but this i9-10900 has 125 at the description on any site where I can buy it. So I don't really know what to do. I am also not sure if my proc is what it is in the original description, since the i7 for my model generally comes with an integrated gpu from intel, but mine doesn't has it, or at least it doesn't shows up on my system.
  • billsey
    Options
    Wikipedia has a good table showing the different processors. As you can see the i7-10700F and i7-10700 are both at 65W, the i9-10900F and i7-10900 are also both at 65W. It's only when you move into the K realm that the TDP goes up to 135W.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PrskMate
    Options
    billsey said:
    Wikipedia has a good table showing the different processors. As you can see the i7-10700F and i7-10700 are both at 65W, the i9-10900F and i7-10900 are also both at 65W. It's only when you move into the K realm that the TDP goes up to 135W.
    I'm watching now an online pc shop, and wondering why it wouldn't  be possible to do a i9- 11900F upgrade. It's more or less the same as the 10th gen but with more cores. You think it would work? I mean I really could need a i9, but I also don't want to blow my pc up, because at the moment I couldn't buy a new one.
  • PrskMate
    Options
    PrskMate said:
    billsey said:
    I'm watching now an online pc shop, and wondering why it wouldn't  be possible to do a i9- 11900F upgrade. It's more or less the same as the 10th gen but with more cores. You think it would work? I mean I really could need a i9, but I also don't want to blow my pc up, because at the moment I couldn't buy a new one.
    ok stupid question, never mind, I get the point :)))
  • billsey
    Options
    Not a stupid question, it's one that gets asked a lot. Sometimes it's possible to change generations on the same motherboard, but usually the chipset only supports one generation. The timings are often different between generations, which can either break it immediately or just give you weird crashes at random times. It's always best to stay within the same generation. You can do the i9-10900 and i9-10900F as just drop in replacements since their current load is the same as your existing CPU, but any CPU upgrade isn't going to give the kick as something like a HDD to SSD upgrade will.