hello, do you know if acer nitro xv240ypbmiiprx screen is compatible in 120fps fhd on ps5

Options
Seth_ie
Seth_ie Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Monitors
hello, do you know if acer nitro xv240ypbmiiprx screen is compatible in 120fps fhd on ps5. Thank you..

Thread was edited to add model name to the title.

Best Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Seth_ie said:
    I don't know at all how it works-can you give me some information? thank you very much 😀
    Sure :) so the reason the monitor can do 144 hz on a PC but not by using the PC, is due to the reported modes, you should be able to check these when conencted to a PC if you have a nvidia pc is by exporting the modes here ( https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2867/~/how-do-i-capture-the-edid-of-my-display? ) , or if you want a stand alone tool you can use this (  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dump_edid.html  ) this is mainly used by TV's to broadcast what its capable of. If you run the tool you should get a modes table like so
    Supported Display Modes  : 
    640 X  480  60 Hz
    640 X  480  72 Hz
     640 X  480  75 Hz
    800 X  600  60 Hz
    800 X  600  72 Hz
    800 X  600  75 Hz
    1024 X  768  60 Hz
    1024 X  768  70 Hz
    1024 X  768  75 Hz
    1280 X 1024  75 Hz
    1920 X 1080  60 Hz        

Many monitors either dont implment the full range of EDID's as they are generally expected to be connected to a PC, Or implent all the modes but dont have the correct timings exactly to what the console is looking for. Its not till the PS5 and XSX that something which isnt user configurable was able to push out 120hz so its never been an issue before. Many PC's can just override the EDID and run the display at whatever, sometimes working sometime not , for example the custom resoultion thing within the nvidia control pannel where you just put the res / refresh of the monitor

New monitors are shipping with this metadata though, which is why it works on some an not others. EDID dongles just inject a response saying the monitor is able to do the res, PS5 reads it, and then enables the rate :)
  • Leostat
    Options
    @Seth_ie
     Wait ive just noticed this in the reviews
    Against: You need to purchase a specific display resolution. I suppose that this keeps the unit more compact, but it would be handy to be able to select a resolution using something such as a dip-switch.

Its not the 768 one, you may need to buy either the 1080 or the 4k one but its not clear which it is im afraid :(
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Im not sure, you could try the 1080 and then if that one doesnt work return and swap for the 4k, I hate how the amazon reviews dont actully show the dongle people bought!
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Im just going by the comments on the  reviews, some seem to suggest the 4k one is needed but as you said that doesnt make sense :) the 1080p one may work but its hard to tell as i dont have a 120hz monitor to check, (If acer want to send one then id be happy to though ;) )

Answers

• Leostat
    Options
    No not nativly, others have suggested that it works with an extra dongle though (  https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/klx77m/limited_refresh_rate_60_hz_on_ps5_xv240y_pbmiiprx/  ) 
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    thank you for your answer, 
    I looked at your link and if 
    I understood correctly 
    I need an Edid Emulator 
    so that my xv240yp screen
     can reach 120 fps on ps5.
  • Leostat
    Options
    Correct :) sounds like it im afraid!
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't know at all how it works-can you give me some information? thank you very much 😀
  • Leostat
    Options
    Seth_ie said:
    Sure :) so the reason the monitor can do 144 hz on a PC but not by using the PC, is due to the reported modes, you should be able to check these when conencted to a PC if you have a nvidia pc is by exporting the modes here ( https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2867/~/how-do-i-capture-the-edid-of-my-display? ) , or if you want a stand alone tool you can use this (  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dump_edid.html  ) this is mainly used by TV's to broadcast what its capable of. If you run the tool you should get a modes table like so
    Supported Display Modes  : 
    640 X  480  60 Hz
    640 X  480  72 Hz
     640 X  480  75 Hz
    800 X  600  60 Hz
    800 X  600  72 Hz
    800 X  600  75 Hz
    1024 X  768  60 Hz
    1024 X  768  70 Hz
    1024 X  768  75 Hz
    1280 X 1024  75 Hz
    1920 X 1080  60 Hz        

Many monitors either dont implment the full range of EDID's as they are generally expected to be connected to a PC, Or implent all the modes but dont have the correct timings exactly to what the console is looking for. Its not till the PS5 and XSX that something which isnt user configurable was able to push out 120hz so its never been an issue before. Many PC's can just override the EDID and run the display at whatever, sometimes working sometime not , for example the custom resoultion thing within the nvidia control pannel where you just put the res / refresh of the monitor

New monitors are shipping with this metadata though, which is why it works on some an not others. EDID dongles just inject a response saying the monitor is able to do the res, PS5 reads it, and then enables the rate :)
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    thank you very much that's kind of you.
     So I understood your message correctly.
     I have one last little information to 
    ask you after I leave you alone;) 
    Can you show me what I need for my 
    screen because I do not know too much 
    and I would like to be sure of my 
    purchase. Do you have a reference 
    for me because I have the impression 
    that you are very very strong: ') 
    Thank you very much and again sorry to
    bother you.
  • Leostat
    Options
    Seth_ie said:
    thank you very much that's kind of you.   So I understood your message correctly.  I have one last little information to  ask you after I leave you alone;) 
    Can you show me what I need for my screen because I do not know too much and I would like to be sure of my purchase. Do you have a reference for me because I have the impression 
    that you are very very strong: ') Thank you very much and again sorry to bother you.
    Its no bother :D! I like helping out. I dont have a recomendation for one over another, one one linked above and ( https://amzn.to/2P8XTx6 ) claim to be able to do this. My recomendation is to read the comments, and check which ones people say work :)
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    hello again: ') I have looked at
     your proposal and the comments seem
     rather positive to me. I therefore 
    intend to buy this 
    (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B07YMKXD
    G1/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8),
     but I just wanted to know if the
     mention "720p" is normal (I want to 
    play in 1080p 120fps), sorry I really 
    do not know myself: ') and this 
    therefore plugs directly into the ps5? 
    Thank you for your answers, it's very 
    pleasant :)
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    "768p" no "720" sorry 🙂
  • Leostat
    Options
    think  thats just the default its outputting if it doenst have a edid rather than the max, amzon has great returns if it doesnt work though :)

If it does please reply and then we will know for the future :) 
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    I see :) So I'm thinking of buying this
    (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B07YMS18T7
    /ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&
    psc=1) hoping it works, the returns are 
    pretty much good. You have helped me a 
    lot and if it doesn't work I thank you all the same :). I would like to ask you one last thing, do you know where I can find information for the installation of this object? :)
    Thank you again for everything I 
    think after that it will be good: ')
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    And if I summarize, by buying this I 
    should be able to have the 120fps on 
    my monitor acer nitro xv240ypb 🙂
  • Leostat
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Instaltion is you just plug it in! It gets everything you need from the HDMI connection, so just stick it in the monitor it it should *just work* (Fingers crossed for you!)

Well after that, set the performance mode in the settings, and you may need to enable it in the game as well
  • Leostat
    Options
    @Seth_ie
     Wait ive just noticed this in the reviews
    Against: You need to purchase a specific display resolution. I suppose that this keeps the unit more compact, but it would be handy to be able to select a resolution using something such as a dip-switch.

Its not the 768 one, you may need to buy either the 1080 or the 4k one but its not clear which it is im afraid :(
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    Should 1080p be fine? or that is not 
    enough for me to get the 120fps. 
    I watched some videos on youtube and 
    that seems to be enough for them 😶
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Im not sure, you could try the 1080 and then if that one doesnt work return and swap for the 4k, I hate how the amazon reviews dont actully show the dongle people bought!
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    why would i need 4K when i want to 
    play 1080p? .. So you would advise me 
    to buy 4K directly? 🙁
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Im just going by the comments on the  reviews, some seem to suggest the 4k one is needed but as you said that doesnt make sense :) the 1080p one may work but its hard to tell as i dont have a 120hz monitor to check, (If acer want to send one then id be happy to though ;) )
  • Seth_ie

Tinkerer

Options
    you are really very kind :) it is true 
    that I am a little lost because a lot 
    of people have my model but nobody has 
    an answer for these famous 120fps .. 
    I look everywhere and I think the 4K 
    can work but I can't be sure. If only 
    someone could fix this problem on this 
    monitor; ') I contacted several people