problem with USB 3.0 port aspire e5-475

Novie_Mamalateo
Novie_Mamalateo Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I have this problem that started just last night March 19, 2021. One of my laptop's USB 3.0 ports started to malfunction. last night I noticed my mouse isn't moving so I checked and it wasn't recognized because I don't see it on devices whenever I plug the mouse on that particular port. I tried using another mouse and it does the same. then this morning the mouse started to blink the lights whenever I plug it on that port and still not recognized. the same happens to another mouse I tried to plug. I think there was an issue with the port or driver perhaps. I am not sure but it happens when I am in the middle of doing a school requirement and my windows update is on pause since last month that is why I don't think an update made the problem. I tried searching for related problems but I don't see anything that solves mine and that made me think that it was something really bad. most of the problems presented on the tutorials weren't that serious. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Shut laptop off. Remove charger. On bottom of laptop, insert a paperclip into the reset hole for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn the machine on  again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Novie_Mamalateo,

May I know the model name of your unit.
  • Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Shut laptop off. Remove charger. On bottom of laptop, insert a paperclip into the reset hole for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn the machine on  again. Jack E/NJ
    Hey i am sorry. i just saw your comment. does pressing the pinhole won't have any effect on my files and software? i really can't afford to lose something. my laptop haven't been formatted back to a clean state since college that is why so many important things has been here and I can't find a right time to prepare for a back up. tell me if it's fine then I'll proceed with pushing the pinhole.
  • Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi Novie_Mamalateo,

Hi! it's acer aspire e5-475
  • JackE
    No, the reset instructions should  not touch your HDD files. You should nonetheless make regular USB stick backups under any circumstance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    No, the reset instructions should  not touch your HDD files. You should nonetheless make regular USB stick backups under any circumstance. Jack E/NJ
    You're right, i should start make a regular back up. Well then, I'll proceed with your suggestion.
  • Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

@JackE nothing much happen. the mouse still does the same on the particular 3.0 port.
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

There's none. I have checked all the drivers and everything in the device manager and there were no yellow warnings.
  • JackE
    Click on the USB controllers folder in Device Manager. Right click and uninstall the USB3 hub & controller drivers. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn it back on an let Windows automatically re-detect and install fresh copies of these USB3 drivers.

Jack E/NJ

• Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

Hey JackE. That doesn't work either the light was still blinking and the mouse isn't working.
  • JackE
    Test the port with another USB device that's NOT a mouse. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

Already tried that. it is not working. it can't recognize anything I put but it can charge a fan.
  • JackE
    The base cover must be removed to access the USB board and its ribbon connectors to the mainboard. I'd try re-seating the connectors a few times to help clean the contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Novie_Mamalateo

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi Novie_Mamalateo,

Hi!. it's acer aspire e5-475.