Can I make it go faster??? New cer Aspire TC-895-UA91

DW1122
DW1122 Member Posts: 6 New User

Acer Aspire TC-895-UA91 Desktop, 10th Gen Intel Core i3-10100 4-Core Processor, 8GB 2666MHz DDR4, 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, 8X DVD, 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6, USB 3.2 Type C, Windows 10 Home.

Bought it for my wife because her Dell was too slow. I was expecting dramatic improvement.
She tells me it is slower than the Dell. I waited too long to return it. Is there anything I can do to upgrade it to make it faster? add memory or something??

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Change from the stock antivirus (likely only good for a few months anyway before they start charging) to Windows Defender. The antivirus software is almost always the big bottleneck on new machines.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    what programs and use is it used for?

• DW1122
    Practically nothing. Just surfing the internet. No gaming or heavy streaming or anything like that.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Change from the stock antivirus (likely only good for a few months anyway before they start charging) to Windows Defender. The antivirus software is almost always the big bottleneck on new machines.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DW1122
    Thank you.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    the memory is more than ok as is the ssd, processor is a little on the low side but should be fine too for such light use so if it has been like this from the start. all i can suggest is either a completely clean install of windows which will make it more streamlined and faster as it'll remove all the "Acer stuff",  or installing a version of linux (assuming it'll run linux but i don't see anything that screams a "no" from the specs) will make it fly whilst still allowing chrome/firefox and alternatives to ms office (libre office, WPS office etc) but linux does do things a bit differently to MS so there is a learning experience (like for like, IMO it is a lot simpler overall).  Something like MX linux with KDE desktop (windows'ish and very slick).  Youtube is good to get a firm idea.
  • DW1122
    Thank you.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @DW1122
    Basically this PC should not be slow unless your wife uses it for high end gaming, 4K video streaming or heavy video editing, or your internet service is kind of slow? Is the memory usage hitting the 8GB limit yet? 

I have seen multiple people complained about Intel's Wi-Fi 6, claiming that the technology is not mature and buggy. Try using Ethernet to test it out.

Two things you can do to improve performance.

Firstly, if memory usage hitting 8 GB, adding memory stick of the same spec should do it. Mine won't exceed 7GB except during video editing.

Secondly, I believe the M.2 NVMe SSD shipped with your PC is a x2 drive, so changing it to a x4 drive should in theory doubling the speed. I did that for my PC. You can run the CrystalDiskMark program to test out your existing M.2 NVMe SSD speed, if the sequential read speed is around 1,700 MB/s, then it is a x2 drive, there is still room for performance increase.

Even with a x4 drive, do not expect the bootup time can be cut by half, as significant amount of time is spent in the POST process while booting up. Performance increase is expected after bootup. How long does your wife's PC take to bootup ?

I have a TC-885-UA91, having a lower grade processor (i3-9100) and just Wi-Fi 5, do 1080p video streaming everyday. After upgraded to 16 GB RAM and a x4 M.2 NVMe SSD, I believe the performance is a little bit overkill for E-mails, bill paying that kind of daily usages.

There must be some HW or SW problems if you still think the PC is slow after these two upgrades.

• DW1122
    Thank you.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Please run Speedsmart,Speedtest,Speakeasy or similar internet speed tests with the ethernet cable and wi-fi. if possible. My bet is that your internet is sluggish.

• DW1122
    No, internet speed is good.